Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 4 months ago

Should I release the fledgling back on the ground where I found it after keeping it overnight?

We made a mistake. There was a lightning storm yesterday and the fledgling bird was blown around to our camper. We rescued it as have it some food. It ate willingly. However we read the site on a different species of bird, and got the information wrong. This is actually a fledgling that should have been left alone, not “rescued”. Should we release it again or have we already disrupted the bond between parent and child and the parents won’t help it anymore?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Yes you should.

• 4 months ago

Sure, I have rescued a number of birds displaced by inclement weather, and returned just fine even after a few days. If mama bird is still alive, she won't abandon her young.

• PR
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Usually, if the parent bird is still around, they will hear the cry of the baby and come to it and tend to it. Try putting it back and see what happens, as long as the parent birds can't see you, nearby.

• 4 months ago

As a wildlife carer, we occassionally need to take fledgelings into care.

Anything up to 3 days and they are generally reunited as if they were never gone.

With one fledgeling (larger species) that was clipped by a car, I had it for 3 weeks until healed and as soon as it was returned the parents accepted it again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kaz
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Aww... that's difficult to say. I think most birds will abandon their young after human contact for that time period. You could release it on the ground or place it back in it's nest and see if its mother returns. You could also contact the Fish & Game Dept. (Game Warden) in your area, and ask their advice, perhaps they know a rehabber that will take it.

• 4 months ago

You would probably be putting its life in jeopardy if you did. At this point, you should probably keep feeding it until its wings are strong enough for flight.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Put it back where you found it and it's Mother will hear it peeping .

Whoever wrote that article is spouting nonsense.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.