Lee asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 7 months ago

What are the chances of having Native American physical features from having 12.5 percent of that racial ancestry?

I am 12.5 percent Native American (my great grandmother was full-blooded) and the rest of my 7 great grandparents were Northern European. What is the likelihood I will have physical traits from the amount of Native American DNA I hold?

The reason I ask is because I have white skin, blonde wavy hair, blue eyes, facial hair, but when I look at my facial characteristics it just seems as though something is off and it's coded with something that doesn't look fully white. But I can't really tell what it is.

My dad states that when him and his maternal grandfather (he's English) saw each others high school graduation photos that you could not tell the difference on whom was whom. He says he looks just like his grandfather (I don't posses any pictures of my great grandfather since they were lost decades ago, so I've never seen him before to validate that fact), but when I look at him myself he has that same obscure look that sets off bewilderment within me.

The rest of my heritage is 25 percent Polish, 25 percent Irish, 25 percent German, and 12.5 percent English. So that is also a good mix of ethnicities that may be the reason why my brain is prompting off an unusual look.

I've only recently started to become intrigued by the status of race and how people look so I can't very much well discern physical features apart and have always considered myself white in the past.

Anyways, I digress.

Very very less. Do you know that Prince William is 0.7% Indian. He doesn't looks Indian at all. Maybe from your maternal side somebody was a Native American. That might have happened many years ago.

I have the same percentage of Native American DNA also from my full blooded maternal great grandmother. Everyone else was European. Never did anyone suspect I wasn't "completely white." And I have dark hair and dark eyes (with pale skin). I don't think there's anything visible. Though my brother often gets mistaken for a "scary Muslim" when he grows a beard and has a tan. Clean shaven, no one ever questioned his ethnicity.

• JimZ

I would say you have 100 percent chance to have some of the Native American features in your physiology but that doesn't mean anyone will notice. There is a lot of overlap in the features so any particular feature will be hard to attribute to any particular gene unless it is done by an analyses of genes.

• Zirp

How you look is NOT determined by the "amount" of "native american DNA" you have. It's determined by the genetics you happened to get from the lottery. Every healthy human has 23 chromosomes from either parent, and passes on 23 chromosomes (23 times either the one from daddy or the one from mommy) to any child (s)he makes. There's no such thing as "1/8", or race

None. 1/8 is pretty diluted. Most Americans have, or believe they have, Native American ancestry, yet they show no physical traits of that ancestry.