Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 6 months ago

How can I get my family more active?

I have noticed that my kids are spending way to much time glued to cell phones, laptops, and Xboxes and are starting to put on a few pounds. My husband and I included. What are somethings we can do together to get everyone excited about being active and healthy?

Ages are 28, 24, 10, and 3. (Before anyone comments on age please note I did not give birth to the 10 year old we adopted)

You should of thought about that a long time ago. The oldest two are adults and could have their own place by now. I hope they at least have jobs and contribute to the household. Your not going to make them do anything they dont want to. The youngest ones you an just take the phones away and get rid of the xbox. They dont need them anyway. Let them go outside and play and explore nature. Take them to the park. Go camping and swimming. Gee theres so many things you can do that wont cost an arm and a leg.

Parents are role models for their children so start by spending less time on your phones and laptops, etc. If you and your husband start exercising ( even going for a walk everyday to start) and your children see you active and feeling more energetic and happier- they will be motivated to make some changes too!

Sit down as a family to discuss activities and get their input. They will be more likely to implement some positive changes if they make the suggestions.

Wish you all the best,

SM, Counselor

Boys Town National Hotline

1-800-448-3000

What s your source?

Www.parenting.org

Well with the older kids there isn't much you can do other then telling them to get a job because they're already adults. However It's not to late with the younger kids and especially the 3 year old. First things first, it's important that you and your husband set a good example for the kids by limiting your own screen time. For example instead of watching tv allday or spending too much time on your phone try doing something different with the family such as going to a festival or going to the beach. You can also have your kids do some extracurricular activities that they enjoy, this can be anything such as football or ballet lessons or try putting them in a program for children such as any 4h programs. I'd also recommend bonding with your younger kids such as playing a fun board game that the whole family enjoys or a game of volleyball ball if your backyard is big enough.

Source(s): Hope I helped

When your family feel there is a need they will automatically start doing exercise that's one way they will get motivated. Another way is that you have to be the example, that doing exercise produces result and is makes you feel great, energetic, active, feel more confident. When your family see the results they will automatically get motivated and it will be easier for you to get them started. Give 1 or 2 exercise which are easy to do and tell them to do it for 1 to 2 mins ask them to gradually increase it over time make it 5 mins after one and half month.

• Ambar

That is such a good goal you have for your family, check out this article in the following link, it has some great tips and advice ...

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake...

You limit screen time. They can have X amount of screen time per day, and that's it.

You can do things with them, or they can find other things to do, but they *cannot* sit in front of any type of screen for more than X amount of time per day.

It's what we did when our girls were young, and they have grown up into healthy, active adults.

You all could have a family game of Kick ball, base ball, football, or basketball. Take walks together,ride bikes together, go to the neighborhood park and play together. Also swimming is fun and good excercise.