Why would a parent volunteer their child for something?

Examples: •This was on TV but Lois *volunteered* the boys to do charity work in "Malcolm in the Middle." •This was real life: I happen to work at the same place as my father but not in the same department. Not so long ago, my boss went up to him to tell him what was going on in my department. I was... show more Examples:
•This was on TV but Lois *volunteered* the boys to do charity work in "Malcolm in the Middle."
•This was real life: I happen to work at the same place as my father but not in the same department. Not so long ago, my boss went up to him to tell him what was going on in my department. I was completely unaware that my department was busy since my teammates don't keep me posted, even my boss doesn't. Since my parents *volunteered* me for overtime, I was forced to work an extra hour everyday & 5 hours saturdays for 3 weeks.