Why would a parent volunteer their child for something?

Examples:

•This was on TV but Lois *volunteered* the boys to do charity work in "Malcolm in the Middle."

•This was real life: I happen to work at the same place as my father but not in the same department. Not so long ago, my boss went up to him to tell him what was going on in my department. I was completely unaware that my department was busy since my teammates don't keep me posted, even my boss doesn't. Since my parents *volunteered* me for overtime, I was forced to work an extra hour everyday & 5 hours saturdays for 3 weeks.

Favorite Answer

To teach them about life.

That said, your boss should not accept them volunteering you as you volunteering.

• Foofa

For better or worse when you're a minor your parents control your life. Sorry... Just turn 18 then you can eff things up as badly as you so choose.

• Kate5 months agoReport

I'm not a minor but my parents were my only ride to work due to not having my license.

You can refuse to work the overtime your dad volunteered you to do but the ramifications are probably not worth it for you, your dad, or both of you. Your best course right now is to tell your dad to never again volunteer for you or speak for you to your boss or anyone else.

• Kate5 months agoReport

I couldn't refuse because my parents were my only ride to work.

Your Father is looking out for your well being & a little extra work never hurt anyone. Think of the bright side your making extra over time money. Many would love to have extra work at overtime pay.

• Kate5 months agoReport

at the expense of having less free time to reflect/relax

• steve

I don't think they did.

If you are working and are asked to do overtime I don't think that has anything to do with your parents it is a business need.

Were you the only person asked to do it?

If where you work need you to work extra hours then I am sorry but if you want to keep your job you have to do it. I presume you got paid for the extra hours so what is the problem?

That is life. I used to work seven days a week sometimes 12 hour shifts when asked by my boss and had to do it. The alternative would have been no job so no money.

If I had said no they would have sacked me and got someone else who was willing to do it.

I have also been without a job so no money and it is not a good place to be.

There is an easy answer, if you don't like it then quit and find another job you find less demanding on your time. But you can expect to be earning way less money.

Life is not free, you have to pay for what you get so have to earn the money to do so. If your employer asks you to do extra hours you do it.

• `

Great story, Scrappy. Your parents can't "volunteer" you to work overtime.

• Kate5 months agoReport

Then why did I hear about me having to leave at 5:30 instead of 4:30 from only my parents first?

You have trolled this before and it is STILL absolute BS.

I was completely unaware that my department was busy since my teammates don't keep me posted

If that were true, you wouldn't be offered overtime.

In any case, if your boss wanted you to work overtime, NO ONE would have to 'volunteer' you. Which part of MANDATORY don't you understand.

• Kate5 months agoReport

Show me the link of your first 5 words.

idk but I would just do the job very badly so I would get told my services were no longer needed or I would not show up. my time is my time and no one volunteers me for anything, otherwise its not volunteering. I tell my prents to F**k off quite often

Kids these days are probably the most inwardly looking and self centred generation ever -- its possibly the only way of broadening their horizons ,and making many of them , less selfish.

• ?

They usually put their children's name forth for something if they feel it will be helpful for them, and believe that they won't put themselves forward for the task. Although I believe in the fictional TV case it was as some form of punishment, not out of any specific memory of the episode so much as the dangerously unhinged parenting style of the character in question.