Is it unusual for a bisexual person to have OCD?

I realize this is both a strange and dumb question, but hear me out, please.

I'm a 19-year-old male and am bisexual. I first had begun figuring out that I was when I was 11, it had become clear soon after I turned 12, although I didn't accept myself for my sexuality until I was 15 (close to turning 16).

I have never been officially diagnosed with OCD, but my counselor did tell me recently that it's very likely I have the disorder. I do suffer much depression, anxiety, and intrusive thoughts, and I've had obsessive thoughts ever since I was 12 (although close to turning 13). That being said, part of the reason it took me nearly four whole years to accept myself for my sexuality before I finally did in 2016 was because I just simply didn't want to be bisexual (or gay, for that matter) and I wanted to be straight-it didn't help that I was raised in a very conservative, Christian family and lived in Mississippi for the vast majority of my childhood.

The point I'm trying to get across is that during the period where I tried to deny my sexuality from 2012 to 2016, I frequently had obsessive thoughts about my sexuality, and if I ever felt attracted to a guy, it caused great anxiety. The thing is, while all of that stopped once I finally accepted myself for my sexuality in January 2016, I've had obsessive thoughts ever since about all sorts of other matters, and while I've never been officially diagnosed with OCD, I've been convinced since 2014 that I have it. What do I do?

Favorite Answer

It's not your job to label every aspect of your personality. Those that need working on, or situations that cause you conflict will be identified by your therapist. Stop reading DSM and start living and interacting.

• Lita

One has nothing to do with the other.

As hard as it can be sometimes you are, in fact, in control of your own mind. Meaning even if it’s a fight you can tell yourself to stop