Can someone who has visited Japan give me an example of a cost breakdown of staying at a hotel?

I know there is a city tax, VAT tax, & accommodation tax. I'm planning a trip and would like an example of how much a stay at a hotel in Shibuya would cost so I can understand more for budgeting.

Let's say my friend and I want to stay at a hotel for 2 nights, sharing 1 room. In total (pretax), it is 32,400 JPY. Both nights cost 8,100 JPY per adult. Consumption tax is already included in the price.

How much would the Shibuya tax, VAT tax, & accommodation tax cost?

[I based the hotel information from an actual Shibuya hotel.]

It depends where. Some cities are implementing a city tourist tax, such as 200 yen per person per night for rooms going for up to 20,000 yen per night. More for big spenders.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/09/27/natio...

• Quinn

The short answer is that the tax is included in your rate.

The long answer is that depending on who you use to book your reservation, the price quoted may or may not include the taxes and fees. In the case where the price listed does not include the taxes and fees, that is charged to you when you confirm. It's like when you buy from Amazon.com where the price upon checking out will list the cost of the item and then the calculated tax and shipping fee, then the total . You then can many a final decision to buy or not buy.

Usually (but not in all cases) the price includes the tax. Japan does things differently from other countries such as China where a simple chefs salad may be listed as 40 Yuan but after all the taxes it ends up costing over 70 Yuan.

As for room fees, rooms under 10,000 yen per night is not charged a fee. Rooms between 10,000 to 14,999 yen per night is charged 100 yen per night per person. Rooms greater than 15,000, it's 200 yen per night per person. This is on top of the standard consumption tax of 8% and hotel's service charge usually between 10-15%

If you are unsure of the actual total cost, all you have to do is ask the hotel. It's no big deal.

I think most Japanese hotel chains quote prices taxes included. Toyoko Inn does. The VAT tax you are thinking of must be the consumption tax, which will be ten percent come October. The accommodation tax does not kick in until the nightly rate reaches 10,000. With a business hotel, there may be no real economy in sharing a room vs. two basic single rooms. You are always going to pay some sort of premium to stay in in Shibuya. The good deals are going to be in less fashionable neighborhoods like Asakusa.

Ask the hotel...

Source(s): Captain Obvious