Native English speakers: What is the difference between "want" and "wanted" in the sentence below? Is my understanding correct?

Look at these two sentences below. a. If you want to write a book, what kind of book will you write? b. If you wanted to write a book, what kind of book would you write? My understanding is that (a) is a question only for people who want to write a book. If you don't have a plan, you don't answer this... show more Look at these two sentences below.

a. If you want to write a book, what kind of book will you write?
b. If you wanted to write a book, what kind of book would you write?

My understanding is that (a) is a question only for people who want to write a book. If you don't have a plan, you don't answer this question.

In contrast, (b) is a question for everyone. The past tense, 'wanted', shows that this sentence is talking about an imaginary situation, so even though you don't have a plan to write a book, you should answer it.

Thank you. I'd appreciate your feedback.