Win 10 does not support my old printer when I upgraded, so it sat on my floor. Should I donate it, scrap it, or ?? It works fine.?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Maybe you could sell it on eBay or something.

• 5 months ago

same has happened to me as I had an HP inkjet printer that does not run on window 10 despite trying every driver and in the end, I just bought a new printer that is compatible with win10

• 5 months ago

if you cannot find and ew driver for it get you a new printer make sure of work on windows 10.

• Gene L5 months agoReport

I didn't explicitly say that in the question, as there is limited amount of letters to post, I do have a new printer. I want to know what to do with the old one.

• Dick
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The ONLY ANSWER to your problem is the driver for the printer. You need to go to the manufacturers web site for a Win 10 driver. If your printer is an HP then go to HP.com. Just add .com to any manufacturers name and it will take you to their web page. Look for a SUPPORT link to click on. Once you get to the Support area, look for something like "Drivers & Manuals" and click on that. Usually at this point you'll need to select/identify that your product is a "printer", and then specify the Model of the printer for a list or in a box you type in. Once you do that you may have to click on OK or something like that and it should take you to the Driver you need. NOTE: Many older printers will only have drivers up to Win 8 or Win 8.1 and normally those will work just fine with Win 10. Give it a try. Hope this helps.

Source(s): 33 Years Computer Experience & IT Support
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Hang onto it and wait until you can figure it out. There is a way.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

What’s a printer

• 5 months ago

we should aim for a printerless world

• Joe
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Spend a little time on Google: there may be a workaround.

(Back when people were upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7, I picked up, free, a couple of very nice HP true laser printers that lacked drivers for Windows 7. Turned out that there was a driver for a different HP printer, still supported on Windows 7, that drove my "new" printers perfectly.)

• 5 months ago

Friend I'm getting a lot of these issues. But did you know that you can download the driver for your printer let's say it's a Windows XP printer download the Windows XP driver and software right click on the installer and click where it says compatibility mode. When it says to test go ahead and click the test button. And then go ahead and save the settings. Close the test out and then restart the installation from the installer you will find that your printer well run just fine you can install Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 software on Windows 10 under the compatibility mode most people don't even know that Windows 10 has this but it works.

I like your answer, but I do not intend to keep the printer, as it prints slowly and the cartridges are expensive (and also no longer available). I would like a good idea on what to do with it, other than keep it.

• 5 months ago

Use a virtual machine with an older version of Windows, OR consider just using linux mint (which is a replacement for windows). It supports my canon print/fax/copier (the print function only, hence using virtual machine with windows 7 aka 6.1), and likely yours will work the same way it did when you used it with windows 8 or 8.1.

It's completely free (unlike windows).

Good idea, I did not think of that. I am not keeping it though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.