Amanda asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 7 months ago

Will my Instax mini packaged (unused) film go bad if I bring it through airport security?

I am taking a trip from Canada to US and wanted to bring my Instax Mini polaroid camera to take some pictures while I am there. When going through the security and the x-ray machines go over my bag, will this ruin my film I have yet to use?

Film rarely goes bad through an xray, only if it is really fast film. First world countries have low power xray machines> You should be fine.

In the 1980's I used lead film bags & the unexposed 35mm film was fine

I can't imagine why anyone would take that toy on a trip. The lowliest cell phone camera will take better pictures, and it won't cost you > $.80 for each click of the shutter.

In case you do not see my reply to the other answer, simply opening the package of film does NOT expose it and ruin it. If that was the case you would have to load the film into the camera in a completely dark room. When you open the package, the film is in a black container. When you insert THAT into the camera, the top protective cover is ejected which then allows the film to be exposed and processed by the camera.

On a side note, an Instax is just about the worse camera you could be using for important photos. It is little more than a toy and if you want some actual decent photos of your trip, you are going to be SO disappointed if you try to get them with an Instax. A cheap point and shoot digital camera will give you FAR FAR better results and also solve all inspection issues.

• Frank

More than likely, yes. You have two options:

1) Have the film hand inspected at the gate along with your carry-on luggage.

2) Put the film in an X-Ray protection bag like this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185375-REG/... and put that film in either your carry-on or check-in luggage.

I've done both, and really I'd just save the money on a bag and have it hand inspected. You may want to consider going onto the websites for your origin and destination airports to see what they recommend; especially if you're taking an international flight.

• keerok

Yes.

Do not pass them through the X-ray machines. Put the film packs and the loaded camera in a tray and have them hand-inspected. It's better if the boxes have not been opened yet. Exposed (used) film is okay to pass through X-ray.

Possibly. Ask for a hand inspection.

You can always get the film in Canada.

• Steve P

NO. Opening the package of film does NOT expose it and ruin it. Have you never used the Instax before? You did not have to load the film in darkness did you? Of course not. The film is sealed in the black container. When placed in the camera the top black cover comes off and THEN the film is active.