Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 7 months ago

Should I try playing the saxophone?

I m 16 and I play the trumpet. I want to learn a second instrument, but not sure which one. I wanted to learn trombone originally but I psyched myself out of it because I thought it ll be to hard to learn bass clef and get confused with treble clef. I have been interested in saxophone also but I m not sure if it ll work because of the embouchure difference. Opinions?

Favorite Answer

It is wisest and easiest if you either stick with instruments that use the same embouchure, or move to Instruments that do NOT use your mouth. Crossing between brass instruments and any woodwinds will not bode well for either. So either move to percussion, strings (bowed or plectrum), or keyboard Instruments. Heck, although there are woodwind triplers, it is easy for us professional flutists to spot them as soon as the play flute - the interference of their single reed embouchure is apparent. There are happy and productive choices - and nonsensical ones.

• humpty

Mind you, she also plays the keyboards, but the double reeds are the ones that try the chops most. I can barely make the bassoon squawk and she just plays away. Jaws of steel!

Well done! I recommend the guitar

If you have ant tendency to having a musical talent, then the playing of an instrument should give a great personal satisfaction. However, I think that consideration should be given to the fact that hoers living in you vicinity do not wish to be constantly assailed by your desperate attempts to become proficient in doing it well.

There used to be a youth who lived adjacent ton us when I was a youth who obviously thought he had a talent or desire to play the trumpet. Whilst it is now a long time ago, I still wonder what gave his overbearing parents the idea that neighbours would not object to the cacophony.

By all means explore whatever musical talent that you may have, but if you insist that you do it despite the objection of others , then may you have your instrument forcibly thrust up your **** for the noise you make.

• humpty

The saxophone is a woodwind, really, and you must learn to play with a reed, like the clarinet. The mouthpiece is totally different from the trumpet, and the fingering is as well.

You should still learn it, though. The more instrument you play well the more often you will be asked to play with others, and that is where the fun and money are both found.

• Snezzy

Your trombone positions are essentially the same as your trumpet valves. Piece of cake.

Want something really different, then try the French Horn. You'll never get it right, but you'll have quite the adventure trying.

If you ever give up on music entirely, but still want to play a wind instrument, take up the bagpipes. They are tuned, as Anna Russell said, "to no known musical scale."

Music is a wonderful thing to know. Playing and listening for me is a great time. I'm a guitar player and drummer. Mainly guitar. So learn all you can!

sure..............................