promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 11 months ago

Seeking more knowledge on VPN?

I have a wired router, I'm not sure if my router comes with a VPN. What is the best VPN out there for privacy purposes? I don't want anyone spying on my stuff (government included). I don't want advertisement companies getting information about me, etc.

Is there such a VPN that exists that can protect me from this?

Does anyone here use VPN, can you give me more information on how it works, what other benefits are part of it, etc?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

There are no VPN's that work directly on your router. You can only put a VPN on the individual devices behind the router, such as laptops, phones, desktops. You can't put them on certain devices like Smart TV's either.

The only way to put a VPN directly on a router is to create your own router, such as taking an old PC, run Linux on it, and the Linux distro will be able to connect to your VPN provider. This will replace your router appliance, but you can still use the appliance for your Wi-Fi and Ethernet switching purposes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 5
    11 months ago

Despite the private part of the VPN initials, it *still* leaves a trace online. All connections do - even on the dark web. However, a decent VPN will protect you from the majority of data mining, so you can avoid being 'targeted' by endless ads because of something you typed in a search engine. You can subscribe to the better ones.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.