What way to grind half inch larger diameter in aluminum cylinder.?

It’s rear axle hole for a motorcycle

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

See a machine shop because you do not know what you are doing.Saves fuckingitup.

• ssssssssssssssssssss

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Grind..? Yeah you just need to take it to someone who understands metal.

You can easily drill aluminium - use the appropriate size drill bit and guide in a drill press to align it to the existing bore. If you're drilling out a spacer accuracy won't be critical, but if it's a load bearing part you probs don't want to be taking out too much metal. Aluminium is not that strong

• 7 months ago

Have it done by a machinist.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Hone it. They sell stones on Amazon.

• Bill
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

Just curious, but what is the current axle diameter and why do you need a half inch larger axle? Most axles I've seen are in the .75" to 1" range and never have heard of one breaking.

How are you going to deal with the bearings? As pointed out, they could be an issue.

Make and model of your motorcycle will help.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Half an inch extra is going to be a lot of material removed – I suppose you have calculated that the resulting piece will be strong enough?

• 7 months ago

You can use woodworking tools, if you're careful, with aluminum. Sandpaper, rat-tail files, drill bits, step bits, router bits, hole saws. fly cutters, a drill press and Dremel tool all come to mind.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I would go with a milling machine. Make sure that you have enough material left so that the hole doesn't tear out.

• Road warrior
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

A lathe or drill pres when you want a hole perfectly centered.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

You mean you're wanting to put a larger axle through the wheel? You're going to need a drill press. You need to know the diameter of the axle that you're fixing to put through the hole. And you'll have to bore it correctly with a drill press. The problem that you're going to encounter is if you try to do that the bearings will no longer fit. Unless you know how to use a milling machine to make new bearing holes you're going to have quite a project in order to do that. I'd stick with the same sized axle and bearings unless you're quite skilled in mechanical things

• Road warrior
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

Lathe for concentric holes. A mill can easily bore off center

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.