Vegans and vegetarians: is it wrong to use medication that has gelatin?

I've been having stomach issues lately, for about a week. Stomach issues run in my family, plus I have bulimia. But I'm trying to recover. The issue started when I was purging a week ago. At first I puked up a little bit of blood, so I decided to just be careful with what I eat for awhile and try not to puke. Maybe a day or so later I started getting diarrhea. At first it was normal diarrhea but for the past 4 or 5 days it looks like mostly indigested food. Even if I barely ate anything that day. Today I've felt really nauseous, I tried to eat but that made it worse. So for the last few days I've not been eating much. I've been taking medicine though since I've been dizzy. Mostly just Dramamine, Pepto bismol, iron, b12, vitamin C, and D. Most of the pills contain gelatin, I don't eat meat, I don't want to hurt animals or anything. I've just felt so sick lately, I can't even walk to the store for vegetarian meds because I feel so dizzy. I've actually been taking more than the recommended amount just because barely anything stays down. Like if the b12 says take 1 a day I'll take 2 or 3 for example.

Is what I'm doing wrong? I don't think it's right to kill animals, I just feel so sick. I'm seeing my doctor on the 17th about my eating disorder, I'm planning on asking her about it when I get there.

No offense but you're only trying to be vegan as part of your eating disorder it's all bullsh**.

• Nope. I'm vegan because I don't wanna support the animal product industry.

• If the only medicine you have on hand has gelatin, then take it. If that will make you feel better, take it. When you can, try to find formulations without gelatin.

It's not wrong if it will make you better!!

Source(s): vegetarian athlete

No offense to anyone’s beliefsor whatever but goingveganisDEPRIVING your body ofessential nutrients for your body’s healthOur bodies aredesignedto consume meat andmilkand eggsIt’s in our biologicalmakeupThere are indeed manymisconceptions, and also there are people wecannotdeny are mistreating animals, but you have to understand therer some unethical badhuman beingmayhurtananimalthathappenstoproducesomething like milk, there arepeople that hurt pets like cats +dogs, yetthat doesn’t shutdown people from gettingpets. ANYONEcould walkin to a pet store and geta dogand gohome and do something toit so does thatmean we should boycott pets?

Nowlook up places and companies in a grocery store fromyour milkbottle and what farmsthey come fromIt’s possible to eat animalproducts that haven’t beenproduced from a badfarmDo research+ if theyare local you could even arrange afarmvisit. Overallagain no offense, but wit your diet you are more susceptibleto illnessand it likelywill takelonger toget better

Source(s): Nutrition educator
    • Wendigo

You didn't answer the question asked.

"Vegans and vegetarians: is it wrong to use medication that has gelatin?"

I'm neither vegetarian or vegan. However MOST vegetarians and MOST vegans will tell you, that if a medication is necessary, and whether or not it contains gelatin, or was even tested on animals, that it's to your benefit healthwise, to take it. By not taking it, you're not going to be able to help any animals otherwise. One of the main and earliest of tenets, of vegetarianism and veganism, is about doing the least harm to others and to animals wherever possible.

Your biggest problem seems to be seeking medical advice on an internet forum. I suggest going to an actual doctor.

• Tyler

gelatin is a meat byproduct. it is typically produced from the leftover bones after an animal, typically a pig, has been butchered. nobody kills a pig to produce gelatin, they are just trying to "recycle" the bones so that they don't go to waste. whether or not the gelatin is extracted/sold/used makes no impact on the amount of animals killed. you could justify it as being on par with milk, which vegetarians do eat.

it sounds like you have some sort of illness, perhaps food poisoning? try to get to a doctor asap. if you are on a vegetarian diet, your body needs to work extra hard to extract the necessary nutrients from your food so bulimia can really make you feel worse. please follow through on your treatment for that, your body will thank you.

what you are doing wrong is not eating.

You are dizzy because you are not getting any calories.

YOUR BODY NEEDS CALORIES TO SURVIVE.

You don't need to eat meat.

Bake a potato and eat it, have a banana, a bowl of cereal, anything.

Stop with the pills. If you eat a potato, you get vitamin C and potassium. Any fruit will also give you that.

A bowl of cereal with milk will give you vitamin D, B vitamins from the whole grains.

You won't need to take pills if you eat food.

Get mental help before you are dead.

• Whenever I get sick I get diarrhea soon after and it hurts. It all comes out indigested. So eating seems pointless Being nothing I eat wants to stay in me. I've tried.

No, it isn’t. I have heard gelatin actually has benefits to it

Vegans and Vegetarians are not people