Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 7 months ago

Is it normal to still be a terrible driver after 6 times of driving?

I got my permit about 2 months ago and have practiced about 6 times since and I thought I’d be slightly better by now but nope I’m still just as bad as I was when I first started. And let me say it’s so bad that I almost get in an accident every other time and this last time I was in an empty parking lot thought I was turning fine but probably was an inch from a bright orange thing and I’m not exaggerating I thought I was gonna hit that.. The main things are my lane position where I go too close to the curb and can’t tell where to be and not cutting the wheel enough and reverse of course where I can hardly get it right if I’m backing out... were you still THIS bad at this point or no, idk what to think and am a bit worried for when I’m actually driving.

If you've only driven six times in two months that's less than once a week. That isn't frequently enough to be carrying over from each lesson. You need to be dring 3 or 4 times a week to get in practise.

Amazing it took you years to learn how to walk. A little more to learn how to run.

Now you expect to learn how to drive in a few minutes.

A minimum of 40-100 hundred hours of learning before you have the basics.

It just takes time and more practise. Stick to the parking lots for a while more. You may need a professional instructor (driving school) . Some drivers like maybe your parent are not the best at teaching.

• Mr.357

Probably. It took me about 5 years before I got good. I lost track of all of the things I ran into between the age of 5 and 10.

• Dimo

Six times? Try four decades.

In your teens, you have a 25% chance of a collision a year.

In the twenties, 15% to 20% chance.

In the thirties through fifties, 10% chance.

Finally in your sixties you have finally screwed up enough times to have learned to drive safely, about a 5% chance of a collision a year.

• night

You should look into driving schools that teach you in cars with dual controls. It sounds like you need to practice in a controlled place like a parking lot before you get on the roadways.

yes. Six times in two months is virtually nothing. Plan on 40 hours minimum and 100 hours behind the wheel to be reasonably safe and competent. For fast progress you should be practicing at least 20-30 minutes per day if not more, and no less than an hour per week.