Would you stop talking to a friend if they couldn't hardly hang out anymore due to a serious illness and poverty?

So this happened to me several years ago. I became very ill and was chronically ill for years. The once outgoing person that I was ended when I became ill with a chronic debilitating disease that wasn't visible to people's sight, but it made it very hard for me living day to day. I could barely work,... show more So this happened to me several years ago. I became very ill and was chronically ill for years. The once outgoing person that I was ended when I became ill with a chronic debilitating disease that wasn't visible to people's sight, but it made it very hard for me living day to day. I could barely work, which left me too poor to hang out and do things with my friends. They would call and see if I could go to their parties and to hang out and I either simply couldn't afford to do anything or I just didn't feel well enough. Most of my friends just dropped off the face of the earth, and others even dropped me as their fb friend. And this didn't just happen to me with friends, this happened with my family as well. Even though I would tell them how sorry I was and I explained to them how difficult my illness was making me, most of them still dropped off the face of the earth!

Is this really how most people are? Selfish and uncaring? And btw, this happened with almost everyone I knew (I have a big family, used to have dozens of friends of varying ages of people in their 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's.