Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 7 months ago

Can I plug my AC unit into a 2 to 3 prong wall adapter?

We’re moving and my room has 4 wall plugs but none of them have a 3 prong so can I buy an adapter that goes from 2 prongs to 3 and plug my AC into it?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • y
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

    Yes, but you'll lose your ground protection, which could potentially be harmful.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

    The 3rd prong is generally an earth designed to prevent you from being electrocuted by the appliance if things go wrong. 2 prong outlets are designed for modern double insulated electrical appliances with plastic exteriors such as hair driers, hand mixers, and other household appliances. If your air conditioner has a metal case then it is not safe to plug into an unearthed 2 prong power point.

    In my country 2 prong outlets are illegal and all power outlets must be 3 pronged with the 3rd prong for the earth for appliances needing one.

    I would not try plugging an air conditioner into a 2 prong plug as they put 3 prongs on them for a reason.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

    Yes because in the new homes they have 2 prong outlets. The one side is wider than the other so it only goes in 1 way as the neutral side also carries the ground as well. 3 prong wiring is making sure you only plug in the one way by having the third leg. No worries.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    Yes, you can also break off the third prong and plug it in

    • M.
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

      You are a retard!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

    Using an adapter would work but if anything ever went wrong, like a live wire inside the A/C coming in contact with the housing of the A/C then there would be an electrical shock hazard. The thing to do is to replace the outlet with a GFCI outlet (the kind with the two little buttons on them, like you should have in your bathroom). This would be a 3 prong outlet, and although the third prong still wouldn't be connected to anything, you would be protected against electric shock should something go wrong.

    These GFCI outlets are not hard to install but you should know what you are doing. They come with instructions and there are videos on YouTube. Also, if the GFCI is installed as the first outlet in the chain of outlets then all of the other outlets downstream will also be GFCI protected.

    These GFCI outlets cost about $15 at any hardware store or home center. And for about $7 more you can get a circuit checker that you plug into the outlet to make sure everything is hooked up right. It has 3 lights on it and they light up to indicate if everything is OK. Since you have no ground hookup (to the third prong) the tester would indicate that but of course you already know that. If you don't feel confident in doing this safely yourself then get someone else to do it. It is simple enough to install so you don't need an expensive electrician, maybe a friend or the landlord or anybody like that who has done it before. But do get the tester to check the wiring before using the GFCI.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    yes its only the ground missing so it will work

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    The house needs a electrical upgrade to be suitable to rent.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

    Those adapter have a ground wire to go under the center screw.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    You can but it’s extremely highly recommended that you do NOT. I repeat, NOT recommended.

    Without the ground plug, you basically become a medium for the electricity if something should go wrong with the AC. You’ll get electrocuted if something goes wrong. For that matter, you should get an electrician to upgrade all you’re 2 prong outlets to 3 prongs to prevent electrocution.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    You can...but I wouldn't. It's not grounded! In case of a short somewhere or a lightning strike, your window A/C unit will quickly become toast. That's not counting a potential fire hazard.

    If you're renting, it's the landlord's responsibility & duty to have it changed. It's probably not "up to code" specifications. Check with the city building inspector. If he or she says I'm right...you have your landlord by the n*ts. It has to be updated.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.