Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 5 months ago

im always afraid to beep my horn in case the person gets out of there car.l and gets aggressive. Am I being a wimp?

No. You're almost never supposed to use the horn anyway. You're being a good driver.

• Edna

A better question is: WHY are you beeping your horn? There's usually no reason to do so, unless you're trying to warn another driver that they may be about to crash into you. You don't beep your horn needlessly to signal a driver in front of you to "hurry up and move out of my way".

• Scott

People have gotten shot or beaten to a pulp for honking at the wrong car. Use your horn judiciously and at your own risk.

If you ONLY use your horn for the purpose for which it is intended, I highly doubt using it would cause someone to become aggressive.

I have only used my horn a few times and that was in a parking lot when someone was backing up, not realizing they were on a course to hit my car OR when a car attempted to change lanes without checking their blind spot. So, just to protect my car from being damaged or to avoid a collision. Neither of which would typically cause an aggressive response from another motorist. Another time I used my horn when I saw a Duncan Donut tray with coffees and a bag on top of a motorist's vehicle while driving down the road.

Now, if you beep your horn for other reasons, that might anger a driver who has emotional issues, who would respond aggressively. I have been driving since 1976 and no motorist ever aggressively charged my vehicle after I used my horn.

I think if you use your horn properly, there should be no issues.

If you're stuck in traffic and no one is moving then there is no need to beep you horn because no one can move and you're being a d!ck. If you're moving along at highway speeds and they get out of their car and be aggressive then you give them the birdie as you drive by.

• Ludwig

You should only beep your horn to warn of the danger of an imminent collision.

No your not just keep your Windows rolled up and doors locked and 911 on speed dial

I never use my horn. Nothing to do with being a wimp. Once I was behind a lady at a red light who was obviously attending to her child. The light turned green. She sat there for about 2 seconds . I almost tapped my horn, but just then a big truck blew through the red light. I think that if I had used my horn, she might have accelerated into that truck. By not using my horn I may have saved a life or 2 and saved my conscience too. Have not had a situation in which a horn blast would have helped. More of a distraction to everyone else on the road

• audrey

No you're not being a wimp. You're being smart. People have guns nowadays. You could be shot and killed for tapping your horn!