Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 7 months ago

do all 12 guage shotguns do equally well at door breaching as far as barrel legnth goes?

to be clear. im talking, would a 5 inch barrel shotgun do just as well at door breaching as a 18 or 24 inch shotgun?

Update:

im debating on getting an SBS for my bug out bag. i was going to use a single shot chopped down to 5 inches. id use it for door breaching only

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

No. The longer barrel keeps the shot closer together so there is a more concentrated burst. Also the longer barrel allows for more time for the powder to accelerate the pellets.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Mr.357
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I would not really want to be withing about 12" of a door being breached, but you have plenty of power from a 12 ga to breach most doors. I can't imagine having a tool as large as a gun to ONLY breach doors. Obviously you would be MUCH better off using a defensive or offensive tool to breach doors and a 5" barreled single shot is not of much use.

• 7 months ago

The more barrel the more effective the round...generally speaking...

In a grid down situation you probably wont be breaching a lot of doors. A big rock or kick to the door knob, using a key or finding another entry point are your best bets.

Plus you really dont want to use up your ammo on something like breaching save it for threats or getting food.

Lastly dont add specialty gear. Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain. Carrying a gun in shtf that only breaches doors is pointless. It would do a mediocre job at best and it would be terrible at defense, worse at hunting and useless in offensive positions.

Look into the shockwave guns if you must have an sbs. It will do what you need then without breaking laws now. It will also do it far better than any homemade job.

Source(s): Owner of LEGAL sbs mossberg 535. 3.5in shell capable 15in barrel Threads for chokes to increase range. Turkey, quail, bears, deer, steel emergency fire doors or the odd bump in the night...this gun can handle it
    • CLOSED
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Excellent answer!

• 7 months ago

why are you always asking about breaching doors? saw one off that short, hope you get caught with it in your possesion, that way you would go away for a while and no one here would have to read your stupid questions...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

12 gauge are very weak for anything. Plastic rounds would be even better.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

yes as breaching loads are powdered slugs

• Matt
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Just get a tac-14 and save yourself $200

• abdul
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Never have seen a 12 gauge with a 5" barrel. I think there would be a huge muzzle flash, and less velocity because most shot shell have powder burning still when it comes out of a 20" barrel. 18 -1/4" is the minimum legal length. I think you would be better off keeping it legit.

• Daryl7 months agoReport

He would get about 400 fps out of that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.