Is it okay to lock a child up in a room as a form of punishment (Discipline) or is it abuse?

This happened to me when I was a little boy and I did not tell anybody because I was afraid that I was about to be beaten up even more. Is it punishment or abuse? I am talking about locking a child up in a room and using him or her as a prisoner like your home is a jail.

Favorite Answer

No that's not ok. If the child is being refused food, water, potty breaks or shower time it is a form of neglect and abuse.

Make him/her go stand in the corner wearing a dunce hat! Or you could beat him/her with a switch! That's how parents did things back in my day!

That's abuse, plain and simple. If you were getting locked up and beaten by your parents, they were abusive. They might have called it discipline or punishment, but its way past that.

• Cammie

We now call that "Time Out " .

or

Grounded .