Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 6 months ago

What are effective ways for correcting a 3 year old?

My daughter does not listen to anything. My husband has to pop her in order for her to get the message. Time outs do not work, loss of games or television does not work. I do not like her getting hit ever time she acts up. What else can I do?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The book How to Talk So Little Kids Will Listen was really effective for me. It takes some time and practice but the strategies really work.

• 6 months ago

Reward good behavior

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

You smack her. That's the only thing that will ever work

• 6 months ago

Since a simple pop works - follow suit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • tony
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

An effective discipline should include negative consequences that deter misbehavior from being repeated and positive consequences that motivate your child to keep up the good work. While your plan should be tailored to your child’s temperament,Patience and consistency can be key to addressing behavior problems for your 3-, 4-, or 5-year-old.

www.askdrsears.com/.../three-year-old-behavior

Attachment image
    Source(s): www.livestrong.com/article/170785-how-to...
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A few smacks on the butt won't kill her. She'll learn if he's consistent, since you're just gonna sit back and let her be a brat.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

just reward her when she does sornething right

• 6 months ago

It's a training process. Either you are training them, or they are training you. Your husband has the right idea. Give her a little spank immediately when something happens you don't approve of. She'll get the idea. I can hear it now, "Oh No! Child abuse!" That is said by people who either never had children, or didn't care.

• PR
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Talk to her. Get down on her level. If she is doing something wrong, explain what you want, and why it is better. Do this in a kind voice.

Listen to her. She needs to know you care and are listening to her needs:

Child: "I want a cherry popcicle."

Parent: "You can't have a cherry popcicle now, because it is so close to dinner. If you eat it now, you won't be hungry for dinner".

Child: "But, I want it now!"

Parent: "How about we take this cherry popcicle out of the box, just for you. I will put it on this shelf right here, and as soon as you are done with your dinner, you can get it and eat it. It will taste very good. O.k.?

Child: (Likely sad face, but closer to the popsicle) "O.k., but I want it right after dinner!"

Parent: "O.k., it's a deal, but you need to eat all your dinner".

Talk, listen, bargain where necessary. Help the child to see you are on her side, but you will work together. If course, sometimes a child does need a time out. Calm, loving, never out of control.

• A C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A light spanking on the back side with a ping pong paddle (or similar) should get the message across. Nobody likes hitting kids. If you did, that would be a problem. But the truth is that you can't reason with a 3 year old. If you discipline her now, it will be beneficial for both of you in the long run. After age 12 is too late. Spanking is not child abuse, contrary to popular opinion . Children need to learn to respect authority. The reason our prisons are bursting at the seams is because of parents not doing the responsible thing. Just assure your child that you love them and give them a hug a couple minutes after the spanking is over.

Source(s): The Bible
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.