Victoria asked in PetsRodents · 6 months ago

How to get my guinea pigs to not mate?

I just got a female guinea pig, I don’t know exactly how old she is but she’s definitely young. My older male, Nugget, keeps trying to mate with her! How can I get him to stop? She clearly doesn’t like it too. I don’t want to get him neutered and I also don’t have another cage. Help?

If you are keeping a male and female guinea pig together, one of them needs to be spayed or neutered. If they do mate and have babies, the babies could have problems and that would be considered unethical breeding.

He needs to be separated asap although its probably too late. You likely have a pregnant guinea pig.

The only way to keep them from breeding is by neutering one of them or my separating them.

You have only two optioñs,, separation ,, or have the males neutered.

That is just how it is unless you know enough to breed them.

you rnight need to get another cage if you dont want thern to rnate

• audrey

Get him neutered. It's better for him and you won't have babies you can't take care of.

The only solution would be to separate their cage or just put them in one cage each. Otherwise you wont have any control over the situation without getting the male neutered. They can still be fairly social even separated by a wall.

• PAMELA

You have to do something, have him neutered, because unless you can watch them all the time she is going to get pregnant, if she is'nt already!