Do you think it is ok to pollute a stream if it is on private property?

I'm having a "discussion" with some redneck woman who says she washes her pickup truck in a local creek. She even goes as far as draining the oil into it when she does oil changes. She thinks this perfectly ok because it's on private land.

Favorite Answer

Old Indian proverb: Never drink downstream from camp.

The stream may be on private property but t doesn't stay on private property. Have a word with your local park rangers or whoever controls watercourses.

• I don't know where she is. Other I would report her in a heartbeat.

• Betty

It is certainly not ok....if it was my property and caught her,I'd have her for trespassing...

If you're terribly bothered by that and she's so hardheaded, report her to the EPA. You've never seen a government agency act so quickly. Private property? All you ever own is the right to be taxed.

Flies will love it.

No it's not ok because that stream flows into public waterways. If it was a pond on her property that would be ok.

No that creek is on your property it flows into lakes, streams, and tributaries

A lot of people read this as though she changes the oil while parked in the middle of the stream. I expect it is really that she changes her oil somewhere else (her garage) and dumps the used oil in the stream to get rid of it. Not very nice, but not B.S.

• Yes, that is the case. Also antifreeze and I imagine any other waste fluid.

• Bill

BS. No one drives into a stream to change their oil.

• They drain it elsewhere and throw it into the stream. I have come to find out they also throw a lot of other nasty things in that stream, like used antifreeze.

probably not, unless its on her property

• Jeff D

Washing the truck isn't that big of a deal, it's just soap and water (and dirt). The motor oil is more serious, but the typical redneck only changes their oil once every 2 years. Are you sure she isn't trolling you?

• Edna

What is a "typical' redneck? Describe a "redneck" & where I might encounter one. What does one look like? Please don't use a term for which you probably don't know the origin or its meaning.