Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 months ago

How does one "man up" and make decisions for themselves?

My parents didn't give me the keys or foundation to

live on my own, or work towards Independence.

What I mean is: financial-literacy and career-planning

was never discussed in our home.

I know very little about the adult-world. How am

I supposed to know how to get along with adults,

or what career-path would be best for me? Advice Please.

Favorite Answer

Stop sitting around and waiting for people to teach you. None of us had much "training"- do some research. There are lots of resources these days. Are you going to go to college? If not, look on some sites like Monster.com to see what jobs are available, and what the qualifications are. Many just require some short term, technical training. Do some reading about investment strategies.

I sense that you are more interested in whining about your parents than you are in actually learning.

Feminists are always trying to man up! They wish they had penises!

If yr young, like fresh outta high school, get a simple job like grocery store and work from there. Go to college if it's an option. Go for something u love to do.

• edward

That’s something they should be teaching in high school instead of how to have sex

By seeking out other sources for the necessary information you desire, and to stop blaming others (especially your parents) for what you don't possess.

There are likely lots of potential mentors in your life. IE: coaches teachers, other relatives, someone at your job.. Grab onto one & listen.

• Jerome

You are going to have to learn finances. There is no way of getting around it. Start off with the basics.

ALWAYS SAVE. I don't give a chit how little you make. Just spend less.

Try to save in a method where you don't notice it like the taxes they rip you off, I mean take out your check each pay. And dont touch it. Try to forget about it without forgetting. Meaning keep an eye on your money ALWAYS. but not on your mind ALWAYS.

As far as career paths its always a balancing act for me. Money or time.

Meaning what you are good at versus what interests you. The trick is to get the career, job, profession which satisfies both.

Your choice and your life.......

Good luck.

Yeah, I understand. It’s your parents fault, it’s the schools fault, it’s Trumps fault. As a good progressive you know that it’s NOT your fault!

It was exactly the same way for me. What I did was talk to others as I grew up, Some were friends my age, but the best were mentors I met in the gym, or work, and then observing what others were doing. There is a ton of information online about personal finance and careers. Look into it. Maybe its a good thing as your parents only have one point of view...their experience. There's a lot of different ways on how to do life.