My glasses got broken at work - do I have to pay for the replacement myself?

Just before I went on study leave about 10 weeks ago the floppy door of the chiller flicked the glasses off my face and the glasses broke.

I made do with my space pair of glasses until now as the prescription is not tooo bad and I was stressed and didn’t have time to get them fixed as lots of exams.

Well I am going on holiday next week and so decided I should get my new pair of glasses as I also don’t want the bad prescription to damage my eyes. Two days ago I spent just over £100 on a new pair of glasses (more expensive due to thinning required for my prescription).

I didn’t really think about it at the time but maybe the supermarket (uk) that I work for should be paying for this?

Or is it my duty to pay for them?

Thanks for any help.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Are you serious ? You were too close to the door and it knocked off your glasses? The door did not suddenly open by itself and smack you in the face?

We do have not the compensation culture here in the U.K. as the US.

Accidents happen.

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

there is no workers comp in the UK b/c you have universal healthcare & it's 1000x easier to get welfare benefits. In the US, Workers compensation covers items the employer is responsible for. Walking too close to the door & having it hit you in the face would not be covered.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

You fought the chiller and the chiller won, eh? Why didn't you just wear your space glasses to work? Those things are supposed to be indestructible like they're made outta magic space dust or something. Lol.

• 6 months ago

While you may have had an argument when this happened that they should replace...10 weeks later is far too long.

• 6 months ago

Your glasses - your responsibility. Don't complain. My glasses cost me almost SEVEN times the cost of yours - frames and prescription, four years ago. It's time for me to update my prescription too $☹️.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • Andrew6 months agoReport

Thanks for honesty

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

yes, it is your responsibility to pay for the replacement glasses.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

yes you pay for them yourself

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes, that is your responsibility. Next time get your head out of the way.

• 6 months ago

Even if the accident is not your fault (if the "floppy door" was not operating as it should, and its malfunction led to the breakage)

I doubt that it's worth the cost of attempting a law suit.

If the "floppy door" was operating as it should I see no case for you.

You can try telling the manager / supervisor what happened and VERY nicely and politely ask if the store will reimburse you

but don't expect that they will

and don't insist or complain that they should.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

How is it their fault you misjudged while opening the door? I'm all for taking the company to task, but this one sounds as if it was your fault.

• David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you can prove it was the fault of the super market where you work then they are liable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.