Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 7 months ago

Is it normal to graduate college at 20?

I skipped a grade in elementary school. I am going to be a senior soon and by the time I graduate high school, I will have so many AP exam credits that I can skip first year of college.

People returning to college after a break to get a graduate degree might wonder what is the average age of a graduate student. Other considerations based on the answer to that question may affect the success of a returning student. Some colleges have a higher proportion of older students than they did ten years ago and speculate that graduate students are older today than they use to be. Whether that seems to be the case depends upon which factors you examine.

How Old is the Average Graduate Student?

The average graduate student today is 33 years old. Students in doctoral programs are a bit older. However, the average graduate student in the late 1990s was just under 33 years. In fact, according to the Council of Graduate Schools, the age of graduate students has remained static over the last few decades. While there is no increase in age, there is an increase in non-traditional students.

It is atypical, but not at all rare. I did the same, as did most of my high school classmates (though I took extra classes after finishing all of my classes to get a minor). I suggest finishing up and getting a Master's degree, so you can have one by 21 or 22.

Friend, forget normal. Once you come to think of it, you're abnormal in many ways. Is that necessarily a problem? Of course not, because each person is unique and uniqueness is something nature is responsible for.

I knew several people who came in as Juniors at age 16 or 17. At least 3 of them spent a full 4 years, rather than to rush through trying to make all requirements for graduation in 2 years.

I would suggest that you not take a gap year before college, as you might lose momentum. If you graduate early, maybe you could take your gap, then.

• edward

I took an accelerated course, finished school in 2 years. Scholarship paid for most of it, all i had to do was buy books.

• Lili

Anyone who skips a grade is going to graduate at around 20. It's no big deal, not that uncommon.

Many schools, especially the better ones, allow you to use AP exam results to skip intro courses but not to get actual college credits. My university did not grant course credit for AP exams. Better make sure that the college or university you attend actually awards course credits.

It's not typical, but it's not abnormal. I went to law school with someone who started (law school) at age 19.

P.S. Many students find that high school AP classes do not adequately prepare them for the next level in college classes (especially in science). So for subjects you're never going to take again, it's great to take AP credit, but if you're planning to take more advanced classes in the subject, you may want to consider retaking the introductory classes in college. At worst, they'll be an "easy A."

• drip

Has your university approved and accepted all AP credits? You may find there are still prerequisite you need and still need to take at least a semester doing those,

Most graduates are 21.

• DON W

It's within the "normal" range and nothing to be concerned about.

Thats great, enjoy your horrendous debt when youre finished