Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 7 months ago

Dress code for daughter?

Our daughter is 17 and our agreement was that when she got a job, she could buy whatever clothes she wants. She had always dressed very conservatively before. But now that she's buying her own clothes, I was a little shocked by how sexual she is dressing, normally very short jean shorts that are extremely tight with short shirts, or jeans that look two sizes too small for her butt. I've told her that she shouldn't have to jump around and wiggle so much to put her jeans on, but she just laughs it off. Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned because we have already had the talk and she and her boyfriend are having safe sex and always using a condom. Is it okay that she dresses like this?

I figured the jeans had to have some stretch to them the way they fit like they're painted on with no room to move. Is this just the look now that all girls are wearing to show off their butts?

• Marla

Yes. She is less than a year away from legal adulthood in most jurisdictions. At this point, nothing that you say or do is going to make a 17 year old with a job dress a certain way.

Her boyfriend is probably telling her to dress the way she does. That's what guys that age do.

its ok, she is 17 so almost an adult.

Once she has reached that age, she has the right to make her own decisions and parents have to respect that and realize that she is an autonomous living human being. Stop trying to control her!

• Sky

Assuming there is any truth to your anonymous story, the bottom line is this: HER body, HER choice, and HER money, HER clothes, HER choice. Don't like what she wears or how little she wears? Tough sh!t. It's HER choice.

• She’s old enough to make that decision for herself.

• Lita

It's not up to strangers online to decide what is appropriate for your daughter. It is up to your daughter's parents. I have had time believing a parent is the one asking this.

Why are you asking strangers if it's okay

• edward

I buy jeans with a little bit of stretch to them so i don’t have to cut off the blood supply to my legs to put them on. By the way, in summer all they sell in the stores she probably shops in are those shorts and crop tops, can’t find a proper shirt these days without looking for one.

• Murzy

It sounds ok to me.