Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 7 months ago

sterilization? Ethical for dogs and cats or no?

if i am using the term correctly, removing the genital parts of the pets. i am interested in the ETHICS. are you pro sterilization or no?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • geezer
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You can't judge what would be ethical or not 'for us' when you think about your pet dog or cat.

Of course it would be unethical to sterilize a person against their will (even if they were mentally unable to understand what you'd done) .. but an animal is different.

Pets are sterilized to stop unwanted babies and over population .. and, yes, they don't 'understand' that they've been sterilized either.

The same is true of euthanisia .. we do it to pets all the time .. but not people.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

You're not "removing genital parts". You're removing reproductive parts. The uterus isnt part of the gentials

• J C
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's not only ethical, it is kind. A male pet is driven by hormones and becomes aggressive, marks inappropriately, and runs off in search of females. And consider this - in the US alone, there are almost 4 million cats and dogs, kittens and puppies that are euthanized - killed - in shelters each year because there are not enough homes for them. This is mostly due to people who do not spay/neuter. It also does not include the rather large number of kittens and puppies who are other wise "disposed of" by drowning or neglect, nor does it include the large number of pets that just get dumped outdoors and eventually die from neglect, cars, etc. So pose your question differently - which is more ethical? Spay/neuter of your pet, or allowing them to breed to add to that nearly 4 million number?

• PR
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Have you ever been to an animal shelter and seen how many animals are euthanized annually? Or should I be "ethical" and call it killed, gassed, or injected with lethal drugs?

Do you feel it is ethical to kill unwanted pets? If not, then what is ethical, and how do you propose we deal with the overpopulation of unwanted animals?

With an estimated 2.7 million animals KILLED, every year in the United States alone, what alternative to you see to this "ethical treatment" issue? That is nearly 8,000 animals per day. I truly don't see the "ethics" in this.

Besides this, animals make better pets if spayed or neutered. You have apparently not been in the same house with a cat who is in heat. Nor, have you had a male cat spray on your furniture. Or had a cat or dog run away only to be hit by a car, because it simply wanted to find a mate. And, then you tell your kids: "Fuzzy went to a farm to live", likely because you don't want to tell them Fuzzy was run over by a car, when he got out last night. Ethics runs a thin line, but cruelty and fairness have a much wider and unfortunate gap.

If you want the real answer to this, query any animal rescue league. They will fill you in on the "ethics" of your question. I will warn you, however, they are not "shy" in their opinions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • patty
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

u mean desexing or spaying? stops over population of animals who will be put down.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Let me cut your balls off and let you tell me how ethical that is.

• ...Show all comments
    • J C
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Perhaps we should instead cut off YOUR balls so that you cannot procreate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.