Logan asked in HealthDental · 7 months ago

Can I choose to be put to sleep during a wisdom teeth removal?

I don’t know how many wisdom teeth I have or how bad they are but can I choose to be knocked out either way?

• Lili

Just go for Novocain and Nitrous. You'll be relaxed and pain-free, but you'll be able to cooperate when the dentist needs you to do so. It's really best that you be awake.

Depends on what the dentist says. If it is in a difficult area, they may want to give you a local anaesthetic.

I've had surgeons (not dentists) make decisions when I was unconscious that I would not have consented to if asked. This has happened multiple times (I've had a lot of operations), including when I had chosen general anesthesia after local was offered as an option. So what I've learned is that you can never predict what surprises might arise during surgery, and the best option is to retain the power of consent whenever you can. So I would want to be awake during any kind of surgery when it is an option.

As to whether you have the choice, I don't know.

• A.J.

It's called sedation dentistry and some dentists will do it. There are extra risks in being put to sleep for surgery. I will tell you that I am among the worst patients in the world for dentists with a very low pain tolerance.

I had a complex wisdom teeth surgery as all four removed at one time and one impacted, one growing sideways.

The dentist used both Novocaine and Nitrous Oxide in extra heavy dose and I was awake still but no stress and no pain. Investigate the Nitrous/novocaine option some dentists offer.

• Susie

Most people have 4. And yes you can be knocked out if you have your parents permission (if you are under 18) and if you have someone accompany you as you can’t drive.

• Hey

Some people have. I don't know if you can. It's a good idea.