Anonymous

I have Autism. I got pulled over when driving for following Should I have told the officer that I have Autism?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

It's up to you. In general, it would depend on the situation. Were you following someone else to go somewhere? Or was it something wrong, like driving too closely to the driver in front?

Using having a disability as an excuse isn't really a good plan, especially if it's an excuse for having done something which is dangerous, as you may potentially get yourself into trouble. However, I'm autistic myself, and I typically tell people immediately, since I find that a lack of understanding tends to be what causes a problem since it's classed as a 'hidden disability'.

Hope this helps.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Lita
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

There's no reason to tell the officer as your autism doesn't have anything to do with your ability to drive or your ability to follow the rules of driving such as not following too close.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Nope, 'cos sorry, but that's a bloody cop-out and it don't bloody wash, mate! It ain't a bleedin' excuse!

Source(s): Fellow Aspie, for whom, that excuse has never worked yet!
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

I don’t think it would have helped unless he asked due to some restrictions on your license.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jeremy
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

If it were felt that your driving was unsafe then you had to be pulled over. You might have to have a re-test to ensure you are not a danger to other road users.

Yes you were correct to say you had autism but don't expect that to mean that you won't face consequences. Maybe you should not have been allowed on the road in the first place. You'll now just have to wait and see what happens and take it from there.

• 6 months ago

Following? Like stalking someone? Or just followed them across town or whatever? Driving way too close to the person in front of you? Actually it doesn't really matter what exactly happened. And telling the cop about your imparement would have more than likely done nothing. The judge or magistrate is who you need to explain yourself to.the cops just enforce law on the streets but the court has the actual power to jail you or free you.

• 6 months ago

what do you mean by following ? if you mean tailgaiting thn appologise, your supposed to be a qualified driver, if you mean your driving behind say a train, then yes tell him your autistic, and thank him for the ticket and summons

• 6 months ago

If your autism affects your depth perception, no.

• 6 months ago

no, disability is not an excuse for unsafe driving. now you know it is something you need to work on. practice it.

i had a friend with a physical disability, he could not buckle his seat belt securely. He got a ticket for it and was found guilty. he had to have a handle put on the seat belt so he could push it in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.