Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 months ago

Im adopted, and I found out that my grandmother is tarasco(an indian tribe?) and she speaks purepecha. What does this tell me about my roots?

In this connected to being Native American.

• Kevin7

You should write to that Indigenous Tribe and get information about your heritage.

It tells you that you yourself are one-quarter Purepecha ('Tarasco' is not a name the Purepecha use of themselves). You say your grandmother 'speaks' the language, in the present tense, which implies that she is still alive: if so, can you make contact with her, or other members of her family, without distressing your adoptive family?

Re your other question: theoretically all the indigenous peoples of North, Central and South America are Native Americans, but if you use the phrase in the USA people will generally assume you mean one of the Native American tribes of the US, so it will mislead people.

• Maxi

P'urhépecha are a group of indigenous Mexican people centered in the northwestern region of Michoacán, Mexico,

• Zirp

Native American refers to USA-based tribes. Purepecha is in central Mexico