Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 year ago

Paying for apartment up front?

So I am filing bankruptcy and I am looking for a place to rent downtown in a metro city. My credit will not be good but I will not have any bills besides car insurance and phone. I recently started a new job that pays significantly more than my last job. Will they want me to work their for a certain period? Will they want me to pay up front for the lease? or am i crap out of luck and need to find a hole in the wall apartment. For instance if i am making 85k a year but no credit and getting apartment that ask for 1,000 and i can prove i have 15 20 thousand saved. Will i have any issues getting a place down town that nice?

• 1 year ago

Prepay but get your contract in order!

• R P
    1 year ago

Experienced landlords will not accept you until your bankruptcy has been discharged.

• 1 year ago

I am a landlord. I agree with a post above: someone who owns just a few apartments could strike a deal with you. I’ve never heard of prepaying for an apartment but a small landlord with sense would welcome prepaying rent and would rent to you.

• John
    1 year ago

Metro? You a spammer ovioulys

• Judy
    1 year ago

With most places, they'll just reject you

• 1 year ago

What you have saved is irrelevant. Most landlords require a full year working at the same place in order to qualify, some require only six months. With a recent bankruptcy, I'd say you are out of luck, even with a good income. There are no guarantees that your income will continue.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Erik
    1 year ago

The majority will either want nothing to do with you or want a huge chunk of money up front. You will just have to do your homework.

• 1 year ago

if you could pay up front, why not pay your bills instead ...bankruptcy requires you to pay what you can..you don't get to hoard savings.

why can't you stay where you are and pay your bills rather than being a deadbeat?

• 1 year ago

Some landlords have a required amount of time on the job but many do not. Most landlords do not allow you to pay the full yr upfront. Wanting to do that is a red flag. It tells the landlord you already know you do not qualify. With a bankruptcy & poor credit you are not likely to get approved for a nice place down town. The properties that accept people with poor credit are not typically very nice or in desire able neighborhoods.

• 1 year ago

You may be more able to rent if you find a mom-and-pop rental. Larger apartments check their tenants more carefully.