If I cut the borders off this dress will it fray?

I don’t like the borders on the bottom of this dress and the sleeves, so I thought I’d just hack them off with some fabric scissors.

I saw someone do a similar thing on YouTube and they just used fray check on the edges, would this be okay?

https://i.imgur.com/p1IBiMB.png

• drip
    Favorite Answer

Can not really tell what the fabric is. chiffon? A polyester?

I might be possible to cut the trim off and still have a finished edge. Wiht out seeing the underside it is hard to tell.

I would NOT use fray check all the around the bottom of a dress. It would be a mess to do and can dry hard. And if that is chiffon, it can fray as you cut.

The sleeves you could fold under and hand sew. Don’t cut it at all.

Lots of bead work in the dress. I would spend the money to have a seamstress do it the right way. Cut and sew a small hem.

• Lolly

The bottom is fine, it's the top that's hideous. Maybe a jacket?

Fray check is an okay product. Will it be the same as sewing a tiny hem where it's cut off? Nope, not even close. If you wear the dress, the edges will eventually start to unravel. I suspect the length it will end up will look awkward. The trim on the bottom sort of balances the embellished neckline. Most people want to avoid a dress 'cutting them in half,' and trimming the border off this dress will leave a garment that does just that.

If what you want is a *plain* Little black dress, go buy one. You can probably sell this one on Ebay.

• Joe

What are you standing on ?? Be careful !!

• audrey

Why would you want to ruin a gorgeous dress like that by hacking it up?