Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

Is my dog fake limping?

I am house sitting for my friend who is out of the country, her dog is around 11 years old and randomly was limping when i came home one day. It’s been a week and she is still limping but this morning I saw her on her hind legs. (She has been limping on her right back leg). She doesnt seem to be in pain and still runs around and follows me.

• 1 year ago

A dog does not have the intelligence to fake something, it needs Vet care. Good Luck!

• 1 year ago

Bit of arthritis probably. Older dogs get old and creaky just like older people do. Dogs don't fake ills. She hurts a bit. Spring for some Glucosamine at the drug store or online and follow the directions. That may relieve some of her stiffness.

You can buy online at: Glucosamine For Dogs at Chewy | 30% Off Today & Free Shipping.‎

Adwww.chewy.com/‎

Rating for chewy.com: 4.9 - 348,399 reviews - Email reply time: 4 hours

Glucosamine For Dogs, Low Prices, Free 1-2 Day Shipping & 24/7 Help, Shop Today! Free Returns.

• Dogs don'f fake anything.

• J M
    1 year ago

Dogs do not fake anything.

• 1 year ago

My dog fake limped a lot, so I know for sure they can. But when taking care of someone else's dog, the FIRST thing you should do is contact the owner whenever the dog is acting abnormal. Trust me, I've been dog sitting for close to 8 years now. Don't think you're bothering the owner by contacting them. Any good owner would prefer you contact them about their dog if they seem unwell than wait until they get back. Don't go to the vet without at least letting the owner know. The dog could have a pre-existing condition that the vet you go to doesn't know about. Typically, the owner should leave you with their regular vet's contact information though anyway, and if they don't I would ask. Good luck!

1 year ago

rnaybe you should take her to the vet to find out why shes lirnping

• 1 year ago

No dogs don't fake a limp. I would suggest you don't allow her to do any running about at all until the owner returns and then they can deal with it.

This could be something serious and you don't want to make it any worse.

• 1 year ago

Just like older humans, older dogs get stiff and have arthritis. The dog just may be stiff from laying around. As long as the dog doesn't have a cut on its foot/leg, generally seems happy, and is eating well, it should be fine. Definitely pay attention to any changes in potty or eating behavior and energy levels. IF those change, you need to take the dog to the vet.

Can you text or email your friend? I'm surprised your friend didn't mention this behavior to you if it is something that's pretty normal.

• 1 year ago

Hopefully it is just arthritis, but it can be something more serious needing a vet to take a look. Did your friend leave instructions of what to do if the dog got ill.

They can fake limp and one of our farm dog puppies actually learned a limp from his father who once had a broken back leg.

1 year ago

She is looking for sympathy, I guess, but 11 is pretty old for a dog, may have arthritis.