abi asked in HealthMental Health · 11 months ago

Is my boyfriend normal ?

My boyfriend is perfect, I feel like I have to say that, but sometimes he just lashes out over the smallest things. He adds snarky and sarcastic remarks so almost EVERYTHING I do unless he has a blunt (he’s schizophrenic and supposedly weed helps) I believe him because it’s like two different people. When he doesn’t smoke he gets irritated at everything and get mad at me easily and is just different, with weed he gets loving and talkative and doesn’t even raise his voice at me. Is this normal for people with schizophrenia? I love him to death it’s just hard because in those situations I don’t know what to do it’s like I try to help but it just makes everything worse. He also acts different towards other people, it’s like when it’s just me and him he’s mean and angry but when it’s his friends or my family he either gets quite or talks in a softer tone. He’s never hit me or mentally abused me nothing like that just makes me feel everything’s my fault and makes me feel like everything I say is stupid.

Favorite Answer

LOL he is seeking justification to abuse you emotionally 50% of the time. Rather than admitting he is controlling, exploitive and manipulative 50% of the time he says he's schizo & not stoned. So he gets to belittle or embarrass you and blame it on something while you go along with it. Men like this are not too common. However, this is where it starts. I'd strongly suggest occasionally talking to someone about your concerns, problems and feelings (not a therapist). Not a bestie / BFF either. Too much emotion there but someone who gets this kind of stuff.

You probably know as well as anyone too many people like to abuse, belittle or hurt others. The more they put others down the bigger/better they feel. I work with women in shelters/prisons who have BPD, C-PTSD/PTSD and other concerns. While your message was too vague lacking details this is often where problems begin.

:/

Abuse often is not physical, it is putting you down, not being respectful, not listening, valuing your opinion or feelings. There is nothing wrong with getting high, it is a good thing. But there is a bunch of crap here as you described.

• Care411

The cigarette thing is real problematic. Trying to blame you for forgetting someone then getting violent even if he never hit you. Isolating you is bad too. Before you start talking to someone like me about C-PTSD or run to a shelter. Talk to someone you know about whats going on.

I don't understand why you would love someone who works hard to make you feel bad. Is he on actual medications for his schizophrenia? You seem to be the relief valve he uses for his anger. That needs to change. He probably need counseling along with whatever medication he's got for the schizophrenia.

• abi11 months agoReport

He not on medication for it +he does see a counselor and idk why I love him over the past months I’ve just been noticing it getting worse and worse he’ll be so controlling like we’ve seen two of his friends in the last week but gets mad when I even mention my friends I haven’t seen them in 3 months

This doesn’t seem like a healthy relationship for you. He seems to be hiding something or a side of himself from you. I’d get out of there

he's a punk with anger issues ,it's expected with people with that disorder .

Yes he is normal yes