My 18month old grandson is able to read and do simple math is this normal? I did not remember my kids doing this.?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

It's not common. The question is, does he understand what he's doing? A kindergartener might be advanced enough in reading to read Harry Potter in terms of being able to pronounce the words, but does he have the life experience to comprehend the story? Probably not.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

NORMAL. 18-month olds are too young to even walk. A parent must read to them and they know NOTHING about math.

• edward
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

My kid doesn’t read or do anything like that, he’s not yet 1. He understands that if he has one and gets another one...he has more than one but he doesn’t know it’s called two

• Angie
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

It's not common, but it's certainly in a good way. Early reading is one of the signs of a high IQ, which of course is a very good thing. Keep encouraging him!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

That is great. Keep encouraging him.

• Tomalochk
      Lv 6
      7 months agoReport

It's gonna be playing the piano in no time

• y
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Closer to 24 months for many but, many of these kids don't actually comprehend what they are doing. My daughter in K and 1st grade(4 to 6) had many friends that could rattle off 1 to 100 and do simple math. Yet if you asked them to move five spaces on a game board, or pick up ten pencils. They couldn't do it. They weren't making the connection. They could pick up a book and read you the words, but if you asked them what they just read, they had no idea. That young of a child that con as you say and then tell you about what they just read, or hand you 7 beans. Would be the exception. If you test, use different materials then what they already know.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Not really but it’s good he can do that. Keep him in books and watch him become a prodigy. Don’t let society change this star

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Nope. Not normal at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.