Alice asked in SportsBaseball · 5 months ago

Is it fair to say CLOSER is the most important position on any roster?

The Red Sox won 100 games last year and blew the competition away enroute to a World Series. Now Kimbrel is gone and they're barely keeping their playoff hopes alive.

I remember when Pappelbon was great, but all of their setup guys were crap they always had problems. The bullpen is the lynchpin of any successful team.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

yes, as well as pitchers, catcher

• 5 months ago

No, Alice, because every game does not require a closer. It is a TEAM sport; all NINE positions are equally important.

• 5 months ago

No it's not the most important position.

• Benny
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No, it's far from the most important.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bob
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No it's not the most important position on any roster.

• 5 months ago

Starting pitching is the most important, but it's still and always will be a team game. What good is a closer when your team doesn't get in the position of using a closer? You need strong starting pitching, good defense, timely hitting and an adequate bullpen. Any one of those arms should be able to come in and throw one good inning if you happen to have the lead.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Pitcher is the most important because if you don't have good pitching you won't need a closer to close the game, it will be long over by that time.

• Alice5 months agoReport

I've seen stacked lineups getaway with some pretty shotty starting rotations.

• 5 months ago

No. Closer is probably the most volatile position on the roster and good ones who can endure are few and far between. Every position is important in its' way but I'd say that pitcher, in general, is the most important position.

Without one, you can't start the game.

• Alice5 months agoReport

I agree stable closers with longevity are a rare find, there hasn't been many Joe Nathan's or Billy Wagner's.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.