How Can I connect My Solar System?

I brought this here: https://tinyurl.com/y4a2ag2d (50A Solar Controller) now I want to connect an inverter to it and they said to connect the inverter directly to the battery.

What is these "60A/50A/40A/30A/20A/10A "? I choose the 50A one and wanted to know the Amps are used for DC Load or what's the use of selecting "60A/50A/40A/30A/20A/10A" if it is to be connected to the battery eventually?

The season for not wanting to connect it to the battery is: The Protections (Load, Over Charging, Deep Charging, etc) go away if I connect the inverter to the battery directly.

Reason *

Favorite Answer

The current is the maximum current the charge controller will handle, i.e the maximum the panel can deliver and the maximum you can charge the battery with. With a 50A controller, you can run a 50A panel (at 16V, that's roundabout 800 Watts) and will need roundabout 500 Ah battery capacity.

You could connect the inverter to the DC output of the controller, but then you'd be limited to 360 Watts into the inverter (or roundabout 300 Watts out of it). If you connect the inverter directly to the battery, you'll lose the deep discharge protection from the controller - but that won't matter as any inverter I've seen in the last few years has its own deep discharge cutoff.

And one word of caution: 50 Amps is enough for welding, or burning off your installation. Use sufficiently thick cables (10 mm² would be the absolute minimum - for the metrically challenged: 7 ga or less) and good quality crimp terminals on the ends that you screw into the controller (and appropriate terminals on every other connection).

• Victoria7 months agoReport

I think that this issue should be dealt with by professionals. I suggest you come here https://titanupgrades.com/. I ordered them to install solar panels. I am glad that smo to take care of ecology and to save money for the electric power.

The reason one uses charge controllers is to protect your battery. If the solar system tries to charge the battery faster than the battery is designed for, (higher current) you will destroy the batteries. The charge controller is the item that limits how much current goes into the batteries, the deal with the current level choices, to safely charge the batteries.

The diagram shows six terminals. Two to the solar panels, two to the battery and two for DC devices (optional). The battery powers the inverter and the 105-125VAC inverter output connects to household fans, refrigerator, lighting etc. Both the solar panel and inverter have limits to the power they can deliver.

Select 50A means battery output to load ( inverter ) is not more than 50A or inverter shall be tripped in OFF while inverter output is overloaded more than 600W.

that is a charge controller. The settings are for the max rate of charge, which depends on battery size and type. It controls the charge rate into the battery, and thus has to be connected to the battery.

You want to connect an inverter, a totally different device, it has nothing to do with the charge controller. It connects to the battery and converts the 12 volts DC to 120 VAC 60 Hz (or 220 volts 50 Hz for Europe).

• billrussell42

actually, in theory, it's possible to design an inverter to run off the output of the charge controller with no battery, but why? you would get a small AC output power level, and it would be interrupted every time a cloud passed by.

The inverter does not charge the battery. It converts the DC voltage to AC voltage.