Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 5 months ago

Rights in redundancy?

I have worked for my employer for 8 full years. Yesterday he made me redundant and put me on paid garden leave for one month. Can someone tell me how whether this amount of notice is correct? He has also been training other employees my job role today? Is it correct that you can only be made redundant if your job role is no longer required. And the last question can you be dismissed once on garden leave even after recieving your letter of redundancy. Thanks in advance

• lucy

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/garden-leave/

I am "guessing" you are from the UK, since you state redundancy and also garden leave, which i have never heard that term. But have seen in other articles is done, when you submit your notice of resignation, or in your case could be that there have been some "problems" at work, thus need you out of there.

https://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

This is a question you need to ask ACAS, if you live in the UK.

• Tavy

You need to tell us your Country.

Without knowing your country or more information about your work status...how can anyone answer your question??

A critical piece of information is where you live as employees rights vary around the world.

Barring any other information, 1 month notice is better than a lot of people get.

I walked into work one day and the owner's son was now employed by us and now my equal. My reaction was that I would not train my replacement and gave them noice of my departure. I was out the door in a 3 weeks. Five years later, I was brought back to help him right the ship. We worked together until Katrina hit.

Move on and keep the door open. Honestly, no one cares about your feelings so leave them out of it. For the record, years later both the father and the son recommended me for jobs in the industry.

• The Football God

I worked in a right to work state. Do you? Do you have a contract? What does your union delegate tell you?

Judging from your toxic reply, I know why you're being replaced. Thanks for judging my answer while acknowledging you're withholding vital information.

Should I wear a raincoat today?