omega3 asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 6 months ago

I'm 64, will turn 65 in Feb 2020, have been receiving SS since age 63 and my health insurance is through the ACA. At this time I haven't?

decided on whether to enroll in Medicare Part B at age 65, if I do it will late in the enrollment period, likely May 2020.

My question is, since I won't be officially enrolled in Medicare Part A until Feb 1st, 2020, will I still able to enroll in my ACA health insurance for just Jan 1st- Jan 31st 2020?

I've submitted a similar question earlier and received lots of answers and suggestions. I truly appreciate them.

Can you help me again? Thanks!

I won't be receiving Medicare Part A until Feb 1st 2020. What health insurance will I have for the month of Jan 2020? Can I enroll in health insurance through the ACA for just that one month until Medicare starts?

• Zarnev
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you can sign up for an ACA plan for Jan 1 and terminated it Jan 31 since you're going on Medicare, even if you're not accepting Part B.

Source(s): Independent Ägent

You are a burden on society

Yes...you can have "regular" health insurance until age 65. Some plans will let you keep it past 65 if you purchase before 65 IF you purchase off of the exchange and completely depends on the policy of that company. Some won't automatically drop you.

• lucy

i am only adding 1 thing to think about. Zarnez is correct to have your ACA policy for 31 days, then switch to part A on Feb 1, which is free.

You have 3 months to delay the Part B, w/out incurring the 10% penalty. But Part A, hospital only applies (if) you are admitted to the hospital. Almost everything else is Part B, even if you have outpatient surgery in the hospital, or have chemotherapy or anything else at the hospital. I had outpatient surgery in February and the bill was $8,000. Now with Part B, you have to pay the 20% co-insurance, unless you have a supplement, or even if you do, can have like me a plan F with the high deductible of $2,300, before both Medicare and the supplement pay at 100%.

Just something to think about.

.

• omega36 months agoReport

Thanks for the information.

• Judith

You must be a troll. You asked this question earlier and got plenty of correct answers. I suggest you actually read them.

• omega36 months agoReport

No, I'm not a troll. If you would have actually read my question you would have found I'm asking about ACA coverage for just one month. Zarnev understood my question and answered it.

I provided you a full synopsis the other day. But here is the shortened version. Maybe it is easier to understand.

You lose the ACA tax subsidy when you begin receiving medicare part A.

Your options are:

1. pay the full price of your ACA plan which will be somewhere over $800 a month... then when you decide to take part Part B you will always have a lifetime penalty.

2. pay the $135 for Part B.

• Eva

You can keep your ACA plan up to the month you qualify for Medicare. You should enroll in Medicare in Dec or Jan to have it effective in February. I chose to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan as well.

• A Hunch

Because he is already receiving SS, he is automatically enrolled in medicare (he doesn't need to enroll). He does not lose his marketplace plan when he is enrolled in medicare; he can have dual enrollment. But he does lose his tax subsidy.