What do I do with my fish tank?

I have a small problem. My family and I bought a fifteen gallon tank about a year and a half ago after owning a betta for some time and wanting to do something to spice up our home. That and we thought we loved fish. After a lot of dead fish from Petsmart and a lot of dead fish from a local pet store, we finally... show more I have a small problem.

My family and I bought a fifteen gallon tank about a year and a half ago after owning a betta for some time and wanting to do something to spice up our home. That and we thought we loved fish. After a lot of dead fish from Petsmart and a lot of dead fish from a local pet store, we finally ended up with some guppies, one neon tetra and a pleco. And by some guppies, I mean about thirty.

My daughter lost interest in the tank a while ago so now it's just me struggling to keep the tank in working order amongst work and with no help from my husband. I now have guppies dying left and right, the tank looks absolutely hideous and my entire family is sick of fish. For some people they're great, but we found out the hard way that we have no business in fish keeping.

So this is where the problem comes in. What do we do with the tank? We can't sell it all set up with the fish because it looks so hideous and I don't know what to do with the fish. My husband says to flush them but at would just be cruel. The pet shop near me said they could take the guppies if they're healthy (which they're not) and depending on how big my pleco is, they'd put him in quarantine to see if he's healthy and then decide. The problem is, he's giant. He's as long as my hand.

I feel like such a horrible person and on top of it all, a horrible mother. But what do I do??