Jenny asked in PetsFish · 7 months ago

What do I do with my fish tank?

I have a small problem.

My family and I bought a fifteen gallon tank about a year and a half ago after owning a betta for some time and wanting to do something to spice up our home. That and we thought we loved fish. After a lot of dead fish from Petsmart and a lot of dead fish from a local pet store, we finally ended up with some guppies, one neon tetra and a pleco. And by some guppies, I mean about thirty.

My daughter lost interest in the tank a while ago so now it's just me struggling to keep the tank in working order amongst work and with no help from my husband. I now have guppies dying left and right, the tank looks absolutely hideous and my entire family is sick of fish. For some people they're great, but we found out the hard way that we have no business in fish keeping.

So this is where the problem comes in. What do we do with the tank? We can't sell it all set up with the fish because it looks so hideous and I don't know what to do with the fish. My husband says to flush them but at would just be cruel. The pet shop near me said they could take the guppies if they're healthy (which they're not) and depending on how big my pleco is, they'd put him in quarantine to see if he's healthy and then decide. The problem is, he's giant. He's as long as my hand.

I feel like such a horrible person and on top of it all, a horrible mother. But what do I do??

Favorite Answer

Put it on craigslist for cheep or free. I go to craigs every day looking for rescue fish, and I have found great fish that way multiple times.

That being said, If you want help keeping the tank,

Rehome all female guppies and the pleco.

Your tank is large enough for about 10 male sex guppies and the stray neon can live out the rest of its time, "no females that breed and over run the tank.

Start doing water changes with the gravel vacuum 25% 2 times a week if the tank is very dirty, scoop out all the gravel if it is really dirty, you can leave it out, for the easiest to maintain bair bottom tank, or rinse it in hot water, and place only enough gravel to cover the bottem,

sending fish down a dirty water slide into the sewer is torture, not euthinization. They can servive for hours or days in that muck.

Someone on craigs will be thrilled to get them trust me!

The rule of thumb is one 1 inch fish per gallon. So if your tank was 15 gallons, you could only have about 15 same sex guppies, nothing else. Reading your comments, you said that you did research before buying the fish but from what you described that doesnt sound like it. Neon tetras are schooling fish that like being in schools of at least 6, so you couldnt have only 1. And Plecos grow huge, about 1 foot long and definitely doesnt belong in a 15 gallon.

• Turtle

if he's the size of your hand, just put him in a large tupperware with air holes or small tank and bring him to the pet store and give it to them. Flushing them down the toilet would most definitely be cruel. Either wait it out until they die and then get rid of the tank, surrender the fish to a pet store, or put an ad in a local place for someone to take the tank with the fish included. not many other options

Honestly the easiest thing to do is throw the whole thing up on Craigslist for free or w very low price (~$20 or less). Don't try to get your money back, the focus here is just removing it from your home. It doesn't matter how ugly it is, stuff like that is always in enough demand that someone will take it.

However, I would like to point out that a 15 gallon freshwater tank should take a grand total of 20 minutes per week to maintain. You'd just have to siphon out about 3-5 gallons of water and replace it each week, and then spend a second each day feeding. That's it. Your initial troubles were from not putting your tank through the nitrogen cycle, a common beginner error.

Anyways, if you do decide to get more animals, research them independently inside and out before bringing them home. Some pet stores give good advice, many do not. My recommendation is assume the latter and look everything up online from multiple sources, and ask on forums for "majority rules" advice.

• Jenny7 months agoReport

Id just like to let you know that we did cycle our tank for a few months before we purchased fish. We did a lot of research beforehand also, just like we did when we got our hamster and our three dogs.

Fish keeping is super easy, even young children can do it.

Doing everything wrong leads to failures.

Petsmart not having competent advice may have started much of your problems.

• Jenny7 months agoReport

It wasn't Petsmart's advice, we thought we already knew how to care for the fish when we went to get them even though it sounds like we didn't.

Try putting an ad to see if anyone will take the tank.

Why have fish if you’re not going to take care of them. Most of them died because it’s probably overcrowded. I have 2 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank and they’ve been with me for 8 years now.

How much work is it to clean a fish tank. I do it once a month. It takes me about 1 hour of work and 3 hours total time. Most of the tine it’s just waiting for the water to warm/cool to room temperature.

• Jenny7 months agoReport

When we got the fish our plan was to take care of them. Children loose interest and without help, it's nearly impossible for me to do more than feed them when I'm at work all day and cleaning/cooking when I get home. It was a trial and error situation and we learned now that we shouldn't keep fish.

After having worked at PetsMart some time back, I can say they do not sell dead fish. You have issues with your water or the way you are caring for them. Both of which PetsMart can help you with.

• Steven S

Jenny. If this is true, contact their home office and file a complaint. The PetsMart I worked at would never let this happen.

• audrey

Just get rid of it all. And no more "pets" of any kind for a long time. If the fish aren't healthy, get a friend who isn't so soft hearted to get rid of them. I couldn't do it either. Lol

• Jenny7 months agoReport

It's a shame that someone online is regulating our pets for me. I'll be sure to get rid of my dogs and rodents. : )

............................

• Jenny7 months agoReport

If you're not offering help, why bother comment?