Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 6 months ago

If I have only 2 Gb of ram, what is the latest Windows I should run?

Actually 1.87 Gb. This is an upgrade from 1. And the mex is 2.

Hi. As as a serious Craigslist computers addict (I fully intend to donate all 16 unused systems SOON) ... I have a pair of Samsung NC10 netbooks with Atom 1.6Ghz processors, they both came with 1Gb originally & I upgraded them with a couple of laptop 4Gb kits (2x 2Gbs sticks, I upgraded 3 systems) from Amazon for about $35US.

I've tested them with MSWins from XP thru Vista to 7 (Starter & Pro), & will eventually with Win10 although I personally hate it, but then at least I can say I've tested them with it - & whoever gets the donations may want to use it.

It runs Win7 Starter the best, & is still capable of using a virtual machine software to run Win98/XP software under a machine with 1G allocated.

They're also very capable of running as an older console emulation system using stuff like Lakka OS, or several others (Youtube search for "netbook" &/or "emulator") and they'll also handle a simple media-player / webviewer software like kodi, or LibreELEC just fine.

As far as linux versions they run most versions of Puppy linux blindingly well, including online video streaming sites.

And I believe they'll also run the Chromebook OS fine, but haven't personally tested it on anything yet ... It seems a LOT simpler to set up & use a linux alternative like Pepperrmint OS that also relies very heavily on web-based software.

G'Luck!!!

• Shadow

You can run the 32bit version of all Windows platforms from XP to 10. I have a Lenovo laptop with an Atom CPU, 2GB RAM and 32GB EMMC running Windows 10 x86 (which is 32bit) but it would be better to run Windows 7 in 32bit

I agree with a couple answers here- try a Linux- like Ubuntu Mate, XFCE, or Lubuntu.

If you really need windows and don't want to try Linux- get some more ram.

I "tried" Ubuntu back in 2008....it was so darn easy I never looked back to windows. Many folks believe that to use Linux you have to be a computer genius and learn to write code in the terminal- but thats only if you choose a Linux that doesn't use a GUI. Ubuntu, Mint, and many more have a GUI similar to windows.....and they are much easier to use and far less troublesome compared to windows.

• Fulano

I eventually upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB when I upgraded from XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. It was using about 1.5 GB of RAM idle plus a virus scanner. I heard that Windows 7 32 bit was a lot more memory efficient, but I decided to just go with the RAM upgrade.

Windows 10 .....................

While Windows 10 and Windows 7 will both run on 2 GB of ram, you will be disappointed by the performance. They will be sluggish and will spend of lot of time with the cursor "spinning". The last Microsoft OS that was able to run decent on only 2 GB of RAM was XP.

What you can use will also be determined by the processor in the unit. If it is a 32 bit processor you will be limited to Windows XP or to the 32 bit version of Win 7. While there is a 32 bit version of Win 10, I have yet to see a copy of it or to see it running on anything.

As cheap as RAM memory is and as easy as it is to install, consider increasing it to 4 GB and the difference in performance will be night and day.

Instead of Windows, try Linux. Free and much more efficient, doesn't need tons of RAM to run well.

A 32Bit OS, can only access 3.5GB of RAM.

2GB of RAM is the minimum system requirement for the 64-bit version of Windows 10. You might get away with less, but the chances are that it's going to make you yelling a lot of bad words at your system! If you have only 2GB of RAM then you use Windows 7.

Windows 7 if you already have that installed.