Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 7 months ago

If we live in a meaningless world, shouldn't we all commit suicide?

Like what's the point in giving meaning to a meaningless existence that has no significant purpose? Born, puberty, old age, and death. Repeat. Every living being alive/lived, has/had two destinies: death and aging, which are both inevitable.

Favorite Answer

That's a huge and highly arguable "if", but if you believe it by all means please lead the parade by example.

No. Meaning can be a burden because it saddles one with responsibility. I wish life was meaningless. Unfortunately it isn't.

• Raja

All creatures including human beings are ruled by spirits. All creatures except human beings are 100% under the control of the spirits. Human beings by their sixth sense can make choices and get the spirits as they like. But after you have made the choices the spirits will rule you. This is like a democratic rule. If you think that life is meaningless, the spirits will work in the same way. The question is, Do you want to live a good life or bad life? Your negative thoughts can take you to the hell side. Therefore you must be positive.

Human beings are ruled by spirits but humans must learn to control and rule the spirits. Spirits possess people according to the mental state of the human beings and keep them in the same state until they are rejected and replaced by another. This is an all time phenomena occurring in all humans. Human beings are always under the influence of spirits. Certain situations and circumstances causes the possession of certain type of spirits. Often thinking and talking about bad subjects or bad imaginations even for fun can take serious turns on one who think and talk. Often thinking and talking about good subjects with good imaginations can create positive effects in your life. Your favorable thoughts and beliefs can bring favorable spirits by your side. The more you think the more would be the possession of that spirit. All spirits (good and bad) have the dominating character. They can take you to the extent of sacrifice or suicide.

All of your activities, talks and even thoughts determine what kind of spirits you will have for your life. Only these spirits are the reason for the good and bad happening in your life. Generally spirits determine your destiny from your daily activities, talks and thoughts too. Spirits are separate elements. A human being is not a single spirit. A human being doesn't have a spiritual body. A human being during his/her life time is living with many spirits which have joined one by one since birth. They are knowledge, skills, feelings, emotions, interests and everything. Even thoughts are not your own. For example, when you want to take a decision on a subject, one after another the spirits think and you just listen, choose or reject the ideas which they transmit to your mind through your brain in the form of thoughts. Brain is just a media to connect the spirits to your mind. A mind is just a computer's mind. After the destruction of a computer completely you will not get it's mind. The same is the case with the human beings. Soul is nothing but an energy needed for the functionality of a body. It is not a spirit or anything else. All human beings are just robots made of flesh and bones and toys of the spirits for their games.

Just because it ends doesn’t mean it has no meaning. Do you go on holiday and think “ this is sh*t, I’m going home in two weeks and it’ll be over “? Think of life that way. A theologian called iranaeus addressed this matter and stated that God created suffering and evil, for us to understand the beauty of good and to produce more of it. For me, your attitude is similar to mine... it all does seem rather pointless- however because it’s pointless makes it all the more liberating. Like buddhism, tell yourself that there is no soul, no attachment. You will start living more because you’ll have no fear of attachment to life because you know it is going to end. So, give your life a form of meaning by doing what you want and working hard for it, this time you have, make it count. Have some fun and keep asking cool questions like these, they promise you a great future

All are meaningful. Vanity was the word instead of meaningless. Vanity said things from nothing and return back to nothing. That is the great meaning - every existence is vanishing with contribution to everyone.

If there was no God, you'd be right.

You may as well go live the most selfish life you can, while you can because this would be all you'd ever get.

Or... there IS a God and you're missing out.

It took me 42 years to find out.... and my life started over.... a second chance.... and every day has been an adventure since.

Pay close attention... this is what you're missing:

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." That exclusive statement by Jesus rules out all man-made efforts to get to God, and therefore, ultimately, heaven.

The way to God is a PERSON, not a religion.

"I am the way."

"I am the door."

"I am the gate."

Test these claims Jesus made about Himself. He is the only way into God's Kingdom: Jesus is the one and only real-life PORTAL into this spiritual dimention... a fourth dimention. His kingdom on earth.

The cross is a spiritual 'black hole' for the world's sins, crimes and evil.

Any organization that makes the (ridiculous) claim "You need Jesus PLUS US to get to heaven." is not from God. Jesus is all you will ever, ever need.

"Come to me all you who are burdened and weary and I will give you rest for your souls. Take My yoke upon you; for My burden is easy, and My yoke is light."

Do this and live..

Do it today.

Tomorrow may be too late. 

• P

After you

👺

• Athena

Your basic premise is wrong and with that your argument falls apart.

It’s not really a question of “the world” not having meaning. It’s a question of your emotional reaction to “the world”. Because ultimately that emotional reaction IS your “world”. It’s all subjective. If the climate change situation has taught us nothing else perhaps it is that. That there are many things that are outside of our control, some of them seemingly overwhelming, but our emotional reactions to such things is still ours to control, if we choose.

So, just because meaning exists within the mind, rather than outside of the mind, you want to throw your life away?

The list you give, to describe life in its entirety, is pitiful. Life gives you a vast universe of mind-blowing amazingness. Every cool thing that has ever been done by anybody in the entire history of Earth was done by a living person. Every intense experience. Every beautiful thought.

• tizzoseddy

Poetic, but the your meaning (or reference perhaps?) eludes me.

• No, because I don't consider longevity as a condition of purpose.

• Then my philosophy will prevail...I will have found worthwhile meaning(s) within my short lifespan, instead of missing them while waiting for a "permanent" form that doesn't exist anyway.