Shark
Shark asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 6 months ago

somebody removed my antivirus and inserted MacAfee - is that even legal?

Favorite Answer

No, I suggest whoever did that should not be allowed on your computer. Who did this or what did this? What happened? What time? I’m happy to help.😄😄 -Tye

Hi. McAfee & Norton both contract with major inetrnet providersaspart of their contracts. Your ISP may have re-installed the bundle assuming it wasn't working properly.

They also can be installed with certain major computer Mfrs on their systems with Windows bundles, which may have also re-installed assuming it wasn't working properly.

Otherwise, they're annoying but easy to remove, unless they have some of the more intense feature sets running. I recently bought a Vista laptopfrom Craigslist that had someNorton feature locking off over 60Gbs of the 120Gb harddrive, & since I don't use Windows online anymore I wanted to remove the file - never got it done normally (Removing Norton thru uninstallation) but during a recent partition problem with the laptop I WAS able to delete it.

G'Luck!!!

• Lv 7

talk to your kids, or grandkids...

• SRΛSC

McAfee is antivirus software as well.

There's nothing illegal about that.

• Adrian

Some free software, including browsers and malware scanners, will install other products if you don't "uncheck" that option box. So, if effect, you are allowing it to happen if you install something that also installs other software (AV product). Perfectly legal as you are allowing it to happen. The issue is, most people do not look at and read all the screen and options when they install something, and get suckered into installing things like McAfee.