Where is the distributor cap located on a 2003 toyota matrix?

I cant find the distributor cap on my 2003 toyota matrix. If I follow the wires coming from spark plug, it just bundles with other wires.. and all bundles seem so go to things that look nothing like a distributor cap.. I cant find a diagram or video that points out exactly where the distributor cap is..

My mechanical knowledge: I can change spark plugs, coils, radiator, exhaust system, anything audio.. anything with brakes..

Infeelnsilly even asking this question, but I d like the response to be a link to a good diagram or a really good explanation of the location specifically

• Jay P

The 1ZZ engine doesn't have a distributor.

Your motor doesn't have a distributor.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Like most modern cars, there is not distributer. Instead it has a "coil pack," The "Engine Control Module" (ECM or "computer") tells the coil pack when to send spark to each spark plug. It's much more precise and durable than a distributor. There are no moving parts. My car, a SAAB, does not even have spark plug wires. It has a Direct Ignition Cassette.

It doesn't have a distributor cap it has a crankshaft and a camshaft sensor the spark plug wires go to a common coil. That common coil is triggered by the computer that runs off of the camshaft in the crankshaft sensor. That doesn't mean did if you run into a situation where you have a lot of damaged computers and electronic components that are damaged that you can't find a distributor cap hole in the top of the engine that's covered by a plate and put a standard distributor in the hole. I've run into that situation where the electronic components are so damaged or so expensive to replace that I had to put an old-style distributor with points and plugs and forget all that camshaft crankshaft computer and sensor nonsense.

• Marduk

Maybe because it has a COMPUTER and not a distributor cap.