Emily asked in PetsReptiles · 5 months ago

Are venomous snakes more temperamental than non-venomous snakes?

I've seen videos of people who own venomous snakes and handle them, and they seem a little more trigger happy than non-venomous snakes. Is it because venomous snakes aren't handled as much or are they just more temperamental?

• oikoσ
    Favorite Answer

It varies from species to species. Water moccasins are pretty laid-back; rattlesnakes are not. Black rat snakes tame nicely; black racers do not. Anyone who "handles" a venomous snake without insuring that it can't bite him deserves to get bitten and to get a Darwin Award.

• oikoσ

Thanks, Darby. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Luckily, the person hasn't gotten it exactly right.

• Joseph

The most bite happy snake I ever handled was nonvenomous. A black racer.

From the youtube videos i saw where people kept deadly snakes the pissy ones where always the king cobras. I seen so many videos of those snakes hiding all the time and striking instantly. Even if unprovoked. Rattlesnakes are pissy little assholes too. As for the non venomous ones they are actually tame and be good pets. These snakes are able to be handled by people whereas the cobra and rattlesnakes would try to bite u any chance they get

• joeparker67

There are many non venomous snakes that are quick to bite just like there are many venomous snakes that are not quick to bite I have seen plenty of people free handle cobras and not get bit. I don’t recommend free handling anything venomous it it’s possible. My king is not that bad

No. Snakes are all much the same, different with species or individuals.

You just take greats risk trying to handle dangerous snakes.

Even the passive garter snake is mildly venomous, but like most spiders, pose little or no risk to humans.

• Joseph

I think you're wrong about garter snakes, as a kid I must have caught a 100 of them. I got bitten once or twice.

All snakes and animals are different some are more defensive and some are less it doesn’t matter what the animal is

Venomous snakes alright stupid they know that they venom either by intelligence or by nature. They know that they have a weapon. Non venomous snakes are more docile because they also know that they don't have any poison or weapon. There are some species of snake like the hognose that will try to desperately pretend to be a rattlesnake. But they don't have any venom. But yes that's because snakes know either by instinct or by intelligence that one of them has venom and one of them doesn't.

• Emily5 months agoReport

I may not be an expert, but I at least have some knowledge. Unlike you. Hognoses are venomous, and I'm pretty sure venom or no venom, snakes will be defensive. A rattlesnake isn't going to think "This human knows I'm deadly and wont harm me, so I wont harm it." It sees a threat and react accordingly

AS far as im aware there ae no non venomous or poisonous snakes, same with spiders

I gave myself a thumbs down for this dumb reply sorry, probably wrong about spiders too

• daniel g

Yea, nearly all spiders produce venom, but so very few that pose any threat to humans.