Korean Tourist Visa & Visa Runs?

Hi! So, I’m a US citizen and currently applying to an internship program in Korea. I’m taking a year off from college and just wanting to figure out what I want to do. I just had an interview with the company that will help me find an internship and, despite me asking for a 6 month internship, said they’d only... show more Hi! So, I’m a US citizen and currently applying to an internship program in Korea. I’m taking a year off from college and just wanting to figure out what I want to do. I just had an interview with the company that will help me find an internship and, despite me asking for a 6 month internship, said they’d only recommend me doing one for 3 months. They said I’d be using a tourist visa which are only for 90 days. They also said that it depends on each company but that I probably wouldn’t be paid since it’s more for the experience but the company might pay for my traveling to work and food. That’s not guaranteed though. I don’t really care about pay (I am here more for the experience) but I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts.

I am wanting to stay longer than the 90 days though. I’d want to either continue to work at my internship or travel for another month or two. From my understanding is that if you want to stay longer than the 90 days, you need to do a "visa run.” My questions are:

1) Is this the only visa I can apply for in this situation? I also saw something like a Working Holiday Visa but didn’t know if that would apply since I’m taking time off from school.

2) If this is my only option, what is the most convenient country to “run” to? I saw that most seem to go to Japan. Is this something that is guaranteed to work?

I really appreciate any help. This is an entirely new situation for me and I just don’t have all the information!