Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 7 months ago

Why do people say driving in manhattan is horrible when it’s actually convenient for many of us?

Example is I live in Chelsea and when I need to go somewhere whether near Battery Park or Harlem taking my car the total time is less than 25 minutes on average. Even when I go to Hoboken it’s around 35 minutes even with traffic in the tunnels. Plus I have family in NJ and upstate NY.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Convenient for many? Alternate side of the street parking's no joke, plus many NYCers don't drive. Born, raised, spent my entire career in Manhattan, got my driver's license as ID, never drove...until I moved to NJ. I'd rather drive on four-lane I-80 than Manhattan. No lights, no cross traffic. When I visit NYC I park at the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, NJ, hop the NJT bus to Port Authority, vice versa.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Toruko
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

People in the USA have a right to submit opinions about NYC.

If it includes something negative about the 2019 POTUS

I heard he wants all his critics limited to a New York minute.

• 6 months ago

Driving lessons can help.

• 6 months ago

People say driving is awful in Manhattan because it's not easy to find street parking. Some parking garages are expensive, and there are certain streets you can't park, so majority of NYers take public transportation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Many people, myself included, have no experience with "city" driving, and have no desire to deal with it. Parking would be a first class pain in the butt unless you garage the vehicle. Expensive.

• 7 months ago

Christopher Street (Greenwich Village) to Hoboken is one stop on the PATH train. Why would you bring your car and pay the toll at the tunnel when you return?

And you really bring your car to Harlem? You aren't concerned about crime?

• Joseph
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

It's not your father's Harlem anymore.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

What's the tunnel toll from Hoboken to Manhattan?

How much do parking garages near Battery Park charge?

• 7 months ago

For many it is easy. For millions of others it is not.

I have family in NJ and upstate NY. Has what to do with driving in Manhattan?

The parking is more the issue than just driving along this street or that avenue.

I doubt you drive everywhere every time you venture to some place in Manhattan.

• Joseph
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you can afford the off-the-street parking then it's fine. Otherwise it would make little sense to spend less than 30 minutes getting to where you want to go only to spend an hour or more looking for a parking spot.

• Lv 4
    7 months ago

I guess they don't know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.