Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 7 months ago

How many cpu cores do you need today for internet, office and occasional gaming? Are 4 enough?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Most AAA titles won't even load if the CPU has 2 threads which puts older Pentium processors and the Celerons into the no-go category. The current Pentium lineup has 2 cores with Hyperthreading and because of this the system sees the Pentium as a quad-core. The Pentium will still struggle in some games and it won't play other games at all because now you need the AVX instruction set to run the D.R.M. in some games. Up until about 2016 basic quad-core processors that didn't have any kind of Simultaneous Multi-Threading were the Bee's Knees for a Gaming PC but now there are games that are using 6 to 8 threads. Good Gawd, even the current Core i5 processor which has 6 cores takes a small hit in a few games. 4 cores are enough for an entry level Gaming PC in 2019 but they'll soon be obsolete.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Dick
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Generally speaking, if all you're going to do is web browsing, word processing, and playing simple games then a quad core processor is what I'd recommend. The reason a quad is needed is that web pages have become resource hogs over the years, and some programs that you might be using will run much better on a quad core than on a dual core CPU. Additionally, 8 GB of RAM will handle almost any operational challenge it's given except in the case of very high end gaming, video editing, and other intense types of processing. One caveat I would make is that you also have to look at what you might be doing on the computer in the next few years so if you expect to become more of a high end user down the road, then don't "under-buy" on the CPU today. Hope this helps!!!

Source(s): 33 Years Computer Experience & IT Support
  • 7 months ago

Depends on a lot of factors. Four should be enough but might in fact be overkill depending on the game. Internet and office use? One core covers it all. It is the gaming that will stress things out a bit.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

It might be enough.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andy T
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

2 is just fine for it, anything above is for "the best this amount of money can buy".

Extra cores of Atoms or even weaker ARM chips not-withstanding.

• 7 months ago

For occasional use even 2 cores would be enough. For youtube and netflix a good graphics card with 1GB of dedicated memory will be great. I hope that helps

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Even without gaming, the power requirements are much higher nowadays for even basic things like web browsing. If you keep multiple tabs open in your browser, each one is taking up a thread or two, and they need to go through a CPU core to achieve that. You won't find a processor with less than 4 cores these days, so I'd say 4 cores and 8 threads is the minimum you should get.

If you want to game, then you'll need 6 cores and 12 threads.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Two would probably be fine, but it really depends on how fast the cores are, and what sort of CPU requirement the software needs.

Office and internet programs are fine with two cores, though can eat a lot of RAM.

Many games are still single threaded, including indie ones. Many can use 2 cores, but mostly only the big studio AAA games can use many cores.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

• P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Cores are definitely not the spec to obsesses over, since there will always be enough cores in machines that meet the far more important minimum requirements. For gaming you need an i5 or better processor with a discrete nVidia or AMD video card like a GTX 1050. For office\internet you should get a computer with an SSD.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.