Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 5 months ago

Should I Pay For This?

I sent in an audition tape to a casting show.

The show said they liked my tape and want to meet me, and asked me to come to casting call in New York next week.

However, I live in Massachusetts and they won't give me transportation. It'll cost me to fly to New York. What should I do?

Will you regret it if you don't?

• Fred

It's up to you. Do you want to be a recording star or not. All they said they want to do is audition you, and you are not being employed by them yet, so why do you think they should be giving you the rock start treatment now. They have not guaranteed they will even sign you up yet as you have to show them in the Audition you have the qualities of a star to even be considered for a contract. You may have to support yourself until you have a recording people want to buy and you become successful.

For now they see some potential in you and are asking to audition you to see if you have what it takes to make money with you.

• Tina

Fred, I don't think you're quite clear on what a casting tape is.
      It has nothing to do with becoming a rock star.

It's not up to them to pay your travel costs, that is your out of pocket expense.

No one has a crystal ball to tell you what will happen if you do or don't do this.

Financially - it'll probably cost you more money to do this then you would make. But money is not the only benefit. So what you have to ask yourself is this investment worth if for you in other ways. Would the experience of going to NY and attending a casting call be worth it for you personally even if you don't get the role? And those are questions you'll have to answer for yourself.

• PR

I would be sure this is genuine/authentic. Look up the company and their reputation. Do they exist? Are they real? Remember that there are a lot of fraudulent companies that masquarade as casting companies, who are there for very negative things. Look them up, before you even think about considering this.

Don't waste your time or money on something that might be dangerous or harmful to you.

I also wonder why this casting call is listed as only one week away? Most people cannot make transportation arrangements in only one week. Was this the last portion of the casting, or had this been posted for some time before? If it was only posted one week ahead, another reason to question this.

• Katrina E.

casting people don't have to worry about trying to accommodate everyone. They can find who they need without doing that. So in professional acting - short notice auditions are pretty much the norm.

• Cogito

If they're going to be having recalls, meetings, read-throughs, rehearsing, and filming in NY, how would you afford that?

One trip isn't going to do it. And on top of the flight cost, what about hotels and eating out?

You'd probably end up paying out ten times what you'd earn.

A casting call type of role is not going to pay much. It would be a very minor role anyway.

We can't possibly decide whether the cost is worth it for YOU. Only you know how much this job might mean to you. Point is, nobody got anywhere without putting in a lot of effort.

Take the train, a bus might not fit the occasion. Flying you would have to get transportation to the city too.

• Jon

There are certainly plenty of suitable candidates who live in New York, so there's no reason to expect them to pay your travel expenses. So the question for you is, is this opportunity worth the expense? We can't answer that for you, but we can say that traveling to interview for a desirable job is a normal thing, especially in show business.

Yes I think you should