Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 7 months ago

Why do they put so many electronics on cars these days?

I have been looking at new cars and it is so hard to find a basic car. All these new cars have buttons on steering wheels, touch screen radios, electronic parking brakes, push button start, etc. My car from 1997 has none of that crap, i only have a $60 radio with aux and use my phone as a gps. Why do car manufacturers put all this crap on cars these days and most people will never use it?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

To get you to ask another one of your stupid questions, and drive the price up as well!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

so it will coast you more for repair.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Because that is what the buying public wants and money talks...

• 7 months ago

Ahahaaa I hear you bro.. Electronics are getting cheaper and cheaper so it's easy for a maker to include features that would have cost a lot more even 10yrs ago. Every new car already has a computer (ECU) on board so it's relatively simple to plug a whole bunch of other "features" into it and use that spec upgrade for marketing. It's a bit of an arms race; if one maker does it, everyone else has to.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

"Why do car manufacturers put all this crap on cars these days"

Because that's what the buying public wants. Just because YOU don't want to use all the whistles and bells doesn't mean that others don't want them.

• dan7 months agoReport

Many prefer simplicity but have no choice due to this proliferation. Les amenities = less MSRP. It's hard to even find a new manual, anymore.

• 7 months ago

They need to do that to stay competitive. All cars are 95% identical these days, you don't even need to go to a dealer and look at a car you can just compare features online. If one model has a gadget that another does not then it can be a huge disadvantage for the model lacking that gizmo. You compete or die, simple as that.

• Geo
      Lv 6
      7 months agoReport

just to annoy you

• 7 months ago

The general idea behind it is that car manufacturers can charge you more for it. The first car that I got was back in the mid 1990s. All the frills that it had was an FM radio and air conditioning. It had no power mirrors or windows. No cruise control. No backing up camera. No blindside detection. No digital speedometer, odometer, engine temperature, RPM. All it costs me was 10K.

Now a car that has power windows, mirrors, backing up camera, blind detection, etc. would run at least 30K.

The other reason is to make it safer like blind spot detection.

• dan7 months agoReport

A Focus or Fiesta has very little amenities, stock. Some like simplicity, keeps cost down.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

Why do the companies do it? So they can jack up the price.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

To impress the ignorant, and overcharge the consumer. Why sell a $60 radio, when you can sell a $2000 entertainment system. And, because this junk is unreliable, you have to have the dealership fix it! $$$$$$$$

Mercedes-Benz used to last 300,000-600,000 miles. Now your lucky to get 100,000 miles out of one without great expense.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

People like all the bells and whistles in the new cars.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.